We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No tennnis shoes?

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
reviews: 7
No tennnis shoes?

Everything I have read about dress in Italy isays that you should leave the tennis/running shoes at home. Then I read Too Much Tuscan Sun and the author recommends them for walking tours in Siena (a lot of hills). Are tennis shoes better for this particular area? I don't want to look stupid but I also know once I open my mouth they will know I am not Italian!

Warrington, PA
reviews: 27
1. Re: No tennnis shoes?

We were just in Siena in October, and the one thing that I noticed is that our "U.S." tennis shoes are not like the "tennis shoes" the Italians wear. You may want to look at some of the newer "euro-style" sneakers that look more like walking shoes than the type of sneaker we're used to wearing for playing basketball or working out at the gym. There were quite a lot of Europeans wearing these new type of "sneakers", which remind me a lot of the retro Puma-type sneakers that were big when I was growing up in the 70s. I think Puma sells them now too in updated styles. May help you fit in a little. Or try regular walking shoes. The main goal: make sure your feet are comfortable...who cares what you look like?

St. Marys, OH
reviews: 14
2. Re: No tennnis shoes?

TAKE COMFORTABLE SHOES! We always take "tennis shoes", usually New Balance and some really comfortable sandals. We have some ECCO's that we can jog in they are so comfortable, and I personally like Joseph Seibel sandals. We've worn them all over Italy, MILES AND MILES, without problems.

Atlanta
3. Re: No tennnis shoes?

On all my trips to Eurpoe I always bring tennis/running shoes for sightseeing. Unless you buy everything once you arrive in Italy, they will know you are from the states. All of the fashion is cutting edge and you just can't fit in easily. Dont worry!! Dress nice and have fun. Do you want to look like everyone else?

Switzerland
reviews: 19
4. Re: No tennnis shoes?

White tennis shoes aren't usually worn for every day shoes in Europe. However, there's no beating their comfort. What about buying black or dark tennis shoes? Then nobody can tell what you're wearing. Have fun walking and walking! It's the best.

Milan, Italy
reviews: 1
5. Re: No tennnis shoes?

Be confortable with your tennis/running shoes.

If it's walking what you'll do most of the time then that's your best choice.

One Q, where did you read about leaving your tennis shoes at home when visiting Italy?

We use tennis/running shoes, OK might be different from the styles you use, but the same should be applied to clothes.

Even more aren't Nikes, Reebock US companies?

It's not from the shoes, or should I say not only from the shoes that you can guess where that person is from, the image I have of an american tourist (take it with a smile on your face), is some man or woman with shorts long to the knee, white socks and white tennis shoes. A t-shirt a hat and a big camera...more or less like any other tourist.

Bring your running shoes along with you and walk, walk a lot.

Ciao and enjoy Italy

Fuorigrotta...
reviews: 3
6. Re: No tennnis shoes?

comfort is surely paramount here - do you want to have blisters and be limping and moaning about sore feet if you're walking a lot or do you want to compete with the locals in the fashion victim stakes. Italians hardly walk anywhere if they can avoid it anyway (ok a generalisation but partly true!). let's face it you can spot some tourists a mile away - but who cares?! as long as you're comfortable and enjoying yourself. I live here and i gave up caring about what the locals thought about me ages ago. (i wear light suede walking boots a lot or campus shoes for the record...)