We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips FROM San Gimignano

Which San Gimignano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montclair, New...
Day trips FROM San Gimignano

I would love to spend 5 days in a hotel in San Gimignano and do day trips to Florence, Arezza and other places in Tuscany. Does it make sense to use SG as my base?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
1. Re: Day trips FROM San Gimignano

If you have a car, such trips would be very easy although parking at San Gimignano is expensive.

Without a car, you could easily get to Florence and Siena by bus; but there is no really convenient public transport to Arezzo, Montepulciano, and other interesting towns.

If you want to tour around the Tuscan hill towns, a car is pretty well essential.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 53
2. Re: Day trips FROM San Gimignano

Yes, it is a much nicer town when the tourists are gone, so you can return and enjoy it as others are leaving.

Arezzo is a bit of a hike from San G, but doable and a lovely town to visit. You would be mad to take a car to Florence, but you can drive to the station at Poggibonsi and take a train. You are close to Siena and to Montalcino and Montepulciano and Pienza.

I am presuming you will have a car of course. Just be aware that you can't park inside the walls of San G and may need to park in a paid carpark outside the walls. The walk up is OK. These days there is a little bus that runs through the centre road of the town to get you from one end to the other if you need it.

Check out the photography shop near the collegiate church. The photos by Duccio Nacci still hang on my walls, a reminder of that particular visit.

duccionacci.it/catalogo/eng_colore_catalogo.…

Arizona
reviews: 15
3. Re: Day trips FROM San Gimignano

We stayed 8 days in San G in May 2008. We actually stayed in two different hotels on the fringe of San G, not right in the town. Hotel Le Colline is a mile of so SE from the edge of the town and Hotel Le Renaie in Pancole perhaps 3 miles north of San G. I would gladly stay in either again. I am confident I would be comfortable in any hotel in the area because I have the feeling that they have consistant standards for hotels. Hotels that are outside the town have parking next to the hotel and no fee. There is no parking, no driving, within the town walls. If you stay inside the town walls you must park at a pay lot outside the walls. Yes we made day trips to Florence, Sienna, Volterra, Monterigioni, Val de Elsa, Vinci, and more.

Regards

4. Re: Day trips FROM San Gimignano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, December 07, 2010