We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stop for dinner returning from Pisa to Florence

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Tamborine...
reviews: 2
Where to stop for dinner returning from Pisa to Florence

Hi there,

Our family of 4 arrive at Florence train station from Milan at 11.30 am on a Sunday, for two nights in Florence. Plan is to spend all of Monday in Florence, thus use the Sunday afternoon to see other regions. The idea is, pick up a car on arrival, drive to Pisa, spend just a couple of hours there, then leisurely drive back to our hotel in Florence (and return the car). With the towns of Florence and Pisa being covered, we'd love to see a bit of the iconic Tuscan scenery while we have the chance, and are looking for suggestions for which route / stops to drive back from Pisa to Florence? Dinner somewhere in the countryside before getting back late to Florence? We don't have a large budget (no need for Michelin stars!) and ambience / scenery is more important than gourmet. Any tips?

6 replies to this topic
Bengaluru...
reviews: 70
1. Re: Where to stop for dinner returning from Pisa to Florence

Hi- am not responding to your question on restaurent, but to the fact that monday most florence museums, esply accademia and uffizi will be closed . In case you plan to or interested, check. I am also there on a sunday/ monday combo. So i plan to see florence on sunday and pisa on monday :-)

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 146
2. Re: Where to stop for dinner returning from Pisa to Florence

Maybe you could consider visiting either the Accademia or the Uffizi on Sunday and seeing the other one Tuesday morning before you leave. If you hit the ground running on your arrival, and timed your reservations carefully, you just might be able to squeeze them both in Sunday afternoon but, for me personally, that would be too much art in too little time; I'd be overloaded. You'll have to decide what's right for you.

I took the train from Florence to Pisa and was happy not to have to navigate a car through the inner city streets, find parking, etc. It's an inexpensive hour-long trip. You might think about taking the first train to Pisa Monday morning, exploring the city on foot and seeing the major exterior sights, and then renting a car to explore the countryside.

Edited: 10:57 am, August 26, 2014
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 52
3. Re: Where to stop for dinner returning from Pisa to Florence

The iconic Tuscan scenery does not really lie between Pisa and Florence, but further south. San Miniato would be my pick of towns along the route for a dinner stop.

Jawz makes a good point about the state museums in Florence being closed on Monday. If you do decide to swap the days around, be aware of the ZTL in Florence and Pisa. I know the ZTL in Florence does not apply on a Sunday, but does on a Monday. I am not sure if the ZTL in Pisa applies on a Sunday or not, but it certainly does on a Monday.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
4. Re: Where to stop for dinner returning from Pisa to Florence

The trains from Florence to Pisa Centrale are at least twice an hour, cost €8 for adults and half price for children each way, and require no advance booking - buy from ticket machines to avoid lines at the booking office, The Regional ticket machines take bills if your card doesn't work, and give change.

Or less frequently (hourly from 9.53), go to Pisa San Rossore which is slightly closer to the tower tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187899-i577-k1012…

Of course that doesn't give you a car to explore the countryside, but if you're going to drive, read up about the ZTLs (limited traffic zones) in Florence and Pisa so you don't have to pay heavy traffic penalties.

North Tamborine...
5. Re: Where to stop for dinner returning from Pisa to Florence

I am so glad you pointed this out, that's an important snippet of information! Thanks for your reply

North Tamborine...
6. Re: Where to stop for dinner returning from Pisa to Florence

And thank you to each person who replied, all very helpful information!

Reply to: Where to stop for dinner returning from Pisa to Florence
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted