We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Checkin?

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
reviews: 1
Airport Checkin?

Hello,

My family will be flying from Pisa to Heathrow...and am wondering what the checkin policy (time wise) is for British Airways (2 hours or 3 hours in advance to be at the airport)? Is flying from Italy to the UK considered international, or all within the EU?

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 49
1. Re: Airport Checkin?

Within EU. 2 hours is fine.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
2. Re: Airport Checkin?

It is within the EU, but not within the Schengen area. You will have to go through Passport Control at Pisa, so 2 hours may be cutting it a bit fine.

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
reviews: 30
3. Re: Airport Checkin?

I agree with Peggypatch, 2 hrs is fine, BA and all UK flights use the upstairs gates, its a fairly small area, they do not even open passport control until 1 hour or so before the flight leaves.

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
reviews: 30
4. Re: Airport Checkin?

Just to confirm here having checked myself yesterday, the border control/passport area does not actually open until 60 mins prior to departure, and that means the working departure time, so if the plane is delayed 30mins the area will open 30mins before the amended departure time. So 2hrs should be plenty.

uk
reviews: 6
5. Re: Airport Checkin?

This is something I've done many times, I agree with peggypatch and Suffolk Lucchese, two hours is ample time. Passport Control at Pisa is swift once it has opened.

Kitchener, Canada
reviews: 8
6. Re: Airport Checkin?

We fly from Pisa to Paris and then onto Toronto both flights with Air France under one booking number, although British Airway is the carrier for the first flight. Am I to understand that 2 hours is early enough to be at Pisa Airport?

Also can I check-in all the way to Toronto at Pisa.......obtain my boarding pass for both flights in Pisa? I only have 2 hours in Paris.

I am new to this. Thank you for your help

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
7. Re: Airport Checkin?

Your flight to Paris is a domestic flight within the European Schengen area, so there will be no Passport Control at Pisa.

Usually, your luggage will be checked through and you will get both boarding passes at Pisa. You will have to go through Passport Control in Paris.

Crewkerne, United...
reviews: 94
8. Re: Airport Checkin?

We flew back to Heathrow T5 with BA last Saturday and I would just mention that the BA check in desks are manned three hours before departure (as they are at Heathrow and Gatwick). As we travel Club with BA we have access to the Lounge (for which you can also buy tickets), which has been extended since our last visit and is situated just before Passport Control, which is a two minute walk to the BA Gates.

Reply to: Airport Checkin?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted