We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rather buy train tickets in advance or not?

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
reviews: 52
Rather buy train tickets in advance or not?

Hi! I'm travelling from Florence to Pisa by train in early August.

So far I haven't been able to get train tickets online as Trenitalia seems to sell regional tickets only a week in advance.

However, I read in a previous post that it might be easier just to buy the ticket on the day at the station. Does anybody know the going rate? Is it a fixed one? Trenitalia has got different ones in the same class depending on how quickly you are able yo get them, so worried I'd get a pricey one of but last minute?

It would certainly be more convenient, as worried I might miss the train (travelling with 2 young children, so you never know!) and these machine tickets from the station you can use on any train, am I right? It used to be like that a long time ago, but things might have changed, so worth asking!

Cheers!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Rather buy train tickets in advance or not?

There is no point in trying to buy Regionale tickets online. There are no discounts on these tickets: they are the same price all the time. If you use a travel date in the next 7 days, the Trenitalia web site will show the price.

Buy the tickets in Italy, either from a staffed ticket window or from a machine that works in English. There can be queues at ticket offices, so allow some time or maybe buy the day before. The tickets can be used on any Regionale train for the journey purchased. Before you get on the train, you must time-stamp the tickets in a machine at the station.

Dubai
reviews: 52
2. Re: Rather buy train tickets in advance or not?

Thank you so much Sydneynick. I will do that then. Any idea how much is the Firenze-Pisa Centrale? Is the return ticket cheaper or is the same as 2 single tickets?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
3. Re: Rather buy train tickets in advance or not?

There are no return tickets in Italy (except for occasional promotions).

See the third sentence of my previous reply for how to get the cost: you can look it up on Trenitalia just as easily as I could.

4. Re: Rather buy train tickets in advance or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 19, 2014