We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1/2 day itinerary

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 5
1/2 day itinerary

Hello All,

I'm going be in Pisa for about 1/2 day between 13:00 and 20:00 and wanted to get make best use of the time sightseeing. I really want to the tower but also wanted to take in the other landmarks. Any itinerary suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And any suggestions for lunch/dinner a nice pizza joint would great too.

Many thanks in advance.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 49
1. Re: 1/2 day itinerary

You need a good two hours to see all the monuments at the Campo dei Miracoli and they are all worth seeing. If you want to actually climb the tower you need to book online 12-20 days before hand and add another half and hour or so to your visit there. For the rest of your time, there are numerous churches (make sure you see Santa Maria della Spina) but many will close for a period in the afternoon. The Palazzo Reale also closes just after lunch so I don't think you can make that really, but there is the Museo Nazionale which houses most of the important works of art from Pisa's churches. The Botanic Gardens are now open in the afternoons I believe. Pretty good shopping to be had and reasonably priced food if you eat away from the tower.

Boise, Idaho
reviews: 26
2. Re: 1/2 day itinerary

Beside the Piazza dei Miraconi and the Leaning Tower (all there together) not far from there are the Roman baths- Bagni di Nerone, Church of Santa Maria della Spina (look this up on the internet, pretty interesting history) Museum of San Matteo is really a nice art museum.

For something good to eat. Spaghetteria alle Bandierine is located at 4 Via Mercanti, if you like pasta, it's home made and really good or Il Bistrot at Piazza Chiara Gambacorti, 17 is also good.

London, United...
3. Re: 1/2 day itinerary

Many thanks for your insight and input Peggypatch and Robin M.

I think I'm too late to book online as I fly out on Sunday 16th. Are any recommended tours or is it better to DIY sightseeing.

By chance we are going to there on on the Luminara festival...I have read on TA is near the "Ponte di Mezzo"...however where is the Ponte di Mezzo - is close by so we can go and see it. What time does it start? as our fly back to England is at 22:30 local time in Pisa, therefore would have time to see the Luminara and get to airport in time?

Also are the "Field of Miralces" close by?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 49
4. Re: 1/2 day itinerary

You might still get a slot to climb on the day if you go straight to the tower, you might have to wait a while to go up, but you can see the other monuments there at the Campo dei Miracoli while you wait. I don't think you will need to join a tour, DIY is fine, but you will need a guide book and a map. The Campo dei Miracoli is about 20 mins walk from the central station. I don't think the Luminara will work for you, it is a candlelight event held in the evening and as we are nearly at the longest day I'm not sure it will be dark enough to appreciate before you have to go to the airport. But the Ponte di Mezzo is one of the central bridges so you could walk past it on your way back towards the airport and see what is going on.

London, United...
5. Re: 1/2 day itinerary

Thanks again for the info Peggypatch.

Phew...Good news about the tower as I really would like to climb the tower...fingers crossed I manage to get a slot.

I'll search for a tourist guide and map before flying out.

6. Re: 1/2 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 14, 2014