We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking near the tower

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, Kentucky
reviews: 27
parking near the tower

Is there public parking near the Leaning Tower?

Brentwood, United...
reviews: 2
1. Re: parking near the tower

See this Thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/…43789113

Best to park in free Car Park, walk or catch the Shuttle Bus. Do not enter the walls !

Poole, United...
reviews: 3
2. Re: parking near the tower

PARKING WARNING!!!

We rented an apartment just around the corner from the Leaning Tower and stayed for three nights. We had a car and parked on safe streets within specified hours. Two months after the trip my credit card was charged 175euros! When I approached the car rental company (Goldcar, don't EVER use them as other travellers warn) they gave me a list of the 5 parking fines the car received! The last two parking fines were 3 minutes apart on the same day!!! They never put a ticket on the windscreen-nothing! I smell corruption and exploiting of tourists/hire cars. I've had no choice but to pay. BE WARNED!

I loved Pisa but don't try to park there for more than a few hours.

Surrey, United...
reviews: 4
3. Re: parking near the tower

Please be aware that Pisa, Florence, Siena, Lucca and most other towns in Italy have ZTLs (limited traffic zones) in operation, some of which are camera enforced. Here is a very helpful article on parking in Pisa and ZTL signs in the city: athomeintuscany.org/2011/…

Another good article on driving in Italy and the ZTL fines is here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

mesh

Edited: 6:43 am, February 27, 2013
Poole, United...
4. Re: parking near the tower

Thanks Mesh. I abided by the parking time limits. Even setting my alarm so I could get up in time to move the car by 8am.

I'll use your recommended links for future Tuscan parking!

Surrey, United...
5. Re: parking near the tower

Could the fines be for entering a ZTL zone and being caught on camera?

mesh

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
6. Re: parking near the tower

Yes, that is exactly what I was wondering.

Poole, United...
7. Re: parking near the tower

Thanks for the clarification. When visiting an ancient city one doesn't think about modern devices such as cameras! That explains things clearly and it turned out to be a very expensive lesson! Think I'll stick to train/bus in future!

Brentwood, United...
reviews: 2
8. Re: parking near the tower

<Best to park in free Car Park, walk or catch the Shuttle Bus. Do not enter the walls >

This applies to most of the walled Italian cities, Lucca may be an exception providing you know clearly the safe route in and out of the Car Park within the walls.

Surrey, United...
9. Re: parking near the tower

For many years now we have driven from the UK to Lucca for our annual summer holidays and use the underground car park within the city walls, but always take the bus from Lucca to Pisa.

mesh

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
10. Re: parking near the tower

Steve, If these fines are for ZTL infringements then I'm afraid the worst is yet to come. The charge the rental company make is an admin fee for passing your details on to the authorities. They will then issue a fine which will make its way to you eventually (typically 6-12 months after the violation). I am afraid the fines are over 100 euros each. I really hope for your sake you don't have 5 fines coming your way as that would be a very painful lesson indeed.

I'm afraid that just about every Italian urban settlement have these limited traffic zones which are intended to stop non-residents driving in historic city centres, thus reducing traffic, pollution and damage to historic buildings and works of art. In large towns and cities these zones are usually policed by cameras and fines.

It is very normal in Italy and they do give you a warning sign 150m before the zone and then the international driving sign for limited access, with the conditions set out underneath. Unfortunately, if people don't do some research on the driving regulations in Italy before they go, they seem to often be caught out by these zones and then when the fines arrive they feel pretty bitter about it all. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...