We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from FCO to Pisa

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY burbs
reviews: 68
Train from FCO to Pisa

Need a reality check

Our overnight flight arrives in Rome on a Friday morning. We check into our Gaiole in chianti flat on Saturday. I originally was going to stay Friday in Rome (we'll also be there later for 5 nights), however my kids (7 and 9) won't stop talking about seeing the tower.

Is it completely crazy to train to Pisa the morning we get in and spend the night there instead (this would avoid a REALLY long day trip to Pisa from Gaiole and reduce the driving time to our rental)?

The train I am considered is the Leonardo express connecting to a fast train from termini that makes a few stops (including citavecchia) but avoids Florence. Is this the fastest/best way? Or is there a commuter train line from the airport that could connect in Citavecchia (or elsewhere)?

Also if our flight arrives on time at 940, can we make an 11AM train (not buying tickets, but want an idea).

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
1. Re: Train from FCO to Pisa

If you plane lands on time, you have a reasonable chance of catching the 11.08 Leonardo Express and then the 12.10 from Rome Termini to Pisa. This would be a good plan.

There is no train from FCO to anywhere except Rome.

NY burbs
reviews: 68
2. Re: Train from FCO to Pisa

Thanks Nick!

There's no commuter line to citavecchia? I thought I had read there was, but i guess that's why I can't find the info.

Edited: 7:21 pm, January 14, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
3. Re: Train from FCO to Pisa

To get from FCO to Civitavecchia, you have to take the FR1 suburban train from FCO into Rome and get off at Trastevere where you change to another train for Civitavecchia.

This would be much slower than going via Termini.

4. Re: Train from FCO to Pisa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 16, 2014