We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaning tower on the fly

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Henderson, Nevada
reviews: 278
Leaning tower on the fly

we are planning to stop by pisa on the way from florence to cinqueterre. we only want to visit the leaning tower--either hire a driver or just get a cab from the train station. run there run back, catch a train out. we don't want to stay there, eat there, nothing. just leaning tower on the fly.

how much time do we need? in other words, how many hours later should i book the train leaving pisa? and can you give me your estimation with and without actually climbing the tower.

thanks!

Henderson, Nevada
1. Re: Leaning tower on the fly

oh btw, travelling with family with kids in june. thx!

2. Re: Leaning tower on the fly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:28 pm, December 05, 2012
Edited: 7:28 pm, December 05, 2012
Ocean City, MD
reviews: 7
3. Re: Leaning tower on the fly

If you just want a photo op, from Pisa Centrale its a nice 15-20 min walk to the Field of Miracles, i.e. the Leaning Tower.

The trains from Florence to Pisa and Pisa to CT are regional, no reservations required.

Children under 8 are not allowed to climb the Tower, if other family members want to then I would suggest having a reservation, especially in June.

Henderson, Nevada
4. Re: Leaning tower on the fly

thx for the input. @mike--most people i talk to who have travelled extensively in italy say don't even waste a single minute of your valuable time in italy on pisa. that's all subjective of course. and to each their own. personally, it's not on my bucket list, but for others in my party it is, so we are trying to make everyone happy whilst still keeping to a schedule.

as to this: " If you walk from the station to the Piazza dei Miracoli you'll see some of Pisa's charm, so you might want to close your eyes."

i find this a little smug and distasteful for a forum such as this where travellers of all kinds come together to get advice and learn from each other. it's snobby and insinuates that a traveller such as myself is unable to appreciate the charm of a destination. consider for a moment that how you travel is not how everyone travels. what you enjoy is not what everyone enjoys. i would rather spend a day hiking the paths of cinqueterre staring at cliffs and ocean rather than buildings. that's JUST ME. and some people have a whole summer to travel, some people have a few days. had i all the time in the world i'm sure you would find me on the piazza dei miracoli chasing butterflies.

i appreciate your input, but consider being pretentious elsewhere.

5. Re: Leaning tower on the fly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:29 pm, December 05, 2012
Utrecht, The...
reviews: 74
6. Re: Leaning tower on the fly

I don't understand why people dislike Pisa so much. We stayed there for a day last year and really liked it. Yes, maybe it is a little more "gritty" than other, smaller Tuscan towns, but it is a very lively university city with more than just the leaning tower. Because of the students there are plenty of good, not expensive restaurants and bars. We stayed overnight and in the evening we had a good meal. Just don't eat at the restaurants close to the tower that cater to day-tourists.

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
7. Re: Leaning tower on the fly

THANK YOU, Dutchfemale! We could not agree with you more. In fact, we are saddened that people only consider Campo dei Miracoli, and then leave. We love walking Pisa's streets, love the restaurants (we just discovered a lovely bistro-bar opened only since June along the Arno which made us very, very happy). We love the Museo Nazionale di San Matteo, the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo... we love the fact that, once you get outside that Campo, you're surrounded by Italians! Real ones, even.

Edited: 2:15 pm, December 06, 2012
Henderson, Nevada
8. Re: Leaning tower on the fly

I don't think it is that people dislike Pisa so much as people have to sometimes prioritize their time in their vacation itineraries. this is my situation. I'm sure Pisa is fantastic and wonderful beyond the Miracoli. If you had only a week to visit California for example, you could not possibly see everything, and I would not be upset at you if you said you were going to skip Alcatraz or the Monterey Bay Aquarium, or Disneyland, or Yosemite, or whatever it is that you cannot fit in to your schedule.

Utrecht, The...
reviews: 74
9. Re: Leaning tower on the fly

Sorry, did not mean to say that you should spend more time in Pisa. Of course you need to prioritize your time. Just meant it in general after reading comments in threads about Pisa...

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 54
10. Re: Leaning tower on the fly

wsk, generally on this forum people say not to visit Pisa, something the locals find rather annoying, understandably.

As to a remark about the charm of Pisa, I think the person may have meant that there are other things to see that so many people miss in their rush to the campo. However, the post has been removed.

We walked from the train station and on the way found the delightful little chapel la Chiesa della Spina, for example

nickbooth.id.au/Europe02/…SanG0018.jpg

The duomo is very beautiful and your kids may enjoy a brief inspection of the bronze doors, filled with delightful detail such as this frog

nickbooth.id.au/Europe02/…SanG0026.jpg