We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre purchase tickets for Tower of Pisa?

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 4
Pre purchase tickets for Tower of Pisa?

Hi there. I will be heading to Pisa for a day trip on 20 December. Do I need to pre buy tickets to visit the tower? Or would there be a long queue to purchase once I am there?

It's winter so I'm wondering if there's still a long queue. Thanks! :)

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
1. Re: Pre purchase tickets for Tower of Pisa?

You shouldn't worry about booking in advance. Even in peak summer season, we found zero problem getting in on the same day. And we were there a lot this past summer. It might not have been on the next timed entry, but we always got in.

You will be visiting Pisa during the holiday season, so it might be slightly more crowded than in early December If you're carrying a backpack, do remember to check it near where the ticket office is. Otherwise, it's a drag to be in line at your timed entrance, only to be told by a guard, just as you present your ticket, that you have to check the thing.

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Pre purchase tickets for Tower of Pisa?

thanks artviva. any idea how long is the wait for the tickets if i get them on the spot?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
3. Re: Pre purchase tickets for Tower of Pisa?

I'd say it depends on how tight your schedule is and what you want to see. If you are planning to see the Duomo, Baptistry and Campo Santo too while you are there, then book your timed entry to the tower when you arrive and see the other monuments while you wait. If you are in a hurry and just want to climb the tower, take a few photos and then leave, then I would pre-book.

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
4. Re: Pre purchase tickets for Tower of Pisa?

Hi Ruluwee -- there were a few slots listed for the next climb as we stood in line, and there were many more slots for the climb after that. And then more after that. You get the picture.

You could also do as Peggy suggests -- in the unlikely event that you've a longer wait than what we suggest.

Have fun!

Dayton, Ohio
reviews: 18
5. Re: Pre purchase tickets for Tower of Pisa?

Jumping in here..... do you think New Year's Day will be busy? According to website they are open two additional hours. Thinking of making the day trip from Florence but don't want to be tied into it if we change our mind. (Traveling with two older teenagers-- thought they'd might get a kick of the tower--- I loved it back in 1984).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
6. Re: Pre purchase tickets for Tower of Pisa?

Getting to climb on the same day is very different than getting the time slot you want. If you want to control your schedule (say you are coming from Florence to do a day trip), you can actually time your train's arrival to Pisa, perhaps add another 30 minutes for you to get to the Tower, and then be ready to climb. Each climb lasts 30 minutes so you know exactly what time you will come down. Assuming you won't be seeing anything else in Pisa, you can then have the rest of the day to go elsewhere.

Dayton, Ohio
reviews: 18
7. Re: Pre purchase tickets for Tower of Pisa?

thank you Sammyfloyd. Any suggestions for "elsewhere"?

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 5
8. Re: Pre purchase tickets for Tower of Pisa?

Hi.

I was trying to buy my advance tickets on the website for the tower but the only week it allowed me to choose was in early Feb.

Does the website release tickets on a calendar timetable?

And if so, when should I look to buy tickets for March.

Thanks!

Edited: 6:42 pm, January 22, 2013
United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 13
9. Re: Pre purchase tickets for Tower of Pisa?

Since you have to purchase the online tickets between 20 and 13 days before the visit, I'd start looking at day 20.

<< Tickets can be purchased online between a maximum of 20 days and a minimum of 12 days prior to the date of the visit, subject to availability.>>

TAB

Edited: 7:19 pm, January 22, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 5
10. Re: Pre purchase tickets for Tower of Pisa?

Thank you!

(I didn't see that about the 20 days)