We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to travel from Florence train station to Pisa (tower)

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
How to travel from Florence train station to Pisa (tower)

I have just checked the train routes online on Trenitalia, it seems like they do not have direct train services from Firenze S.M.N (Florence train station) to Pisa Centrale..they only have routes that transits at Roma Termini, which takes at least 4 hrs from Firenze S.M.N--Roma Termini--Pisa Centrale.

I am travelling from Firenze S.M.N to Pisa the leaning tower...pls advise

19 replies to this topic
Latina, Italy
1. Re: How to travel from Florence train station to Pisa (tower)

Of course there are direct trains. When are you looking for? There is a timetable change on 9th December 2012 and regional trains still have to be loaded. Wait a few days and look again. Or look under one day next week just to get an idea.

Singapore, Singapore
2. Re: How to travel from Florence train station to Pisa (tower)

I am travelling in Feb 2013.

I saw from another site tat says there is direct train from Firenze SMN to Pisa Centrale, takes abt 1 hr, Euros 7.10, not sure if tats on Trenitalia or ??

What do you advise? Taking train or bus from Florence to Pisa Tower?

Thanks in advance ;)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
3. Re: How to travel from Florence train station to Pisa (tower)

Trenitalia is the only company that runs trains between Florence and Pisa. The times for these local trains in February are not yet on the web site. Use a travel date in the next week to see the current times and costs: they will be much the same in February.

Paciano, Italy
reviews: 26
4. Re: How to travel from Florence train station to Pisa (tower)

Here is the schedule for November which will not be much different in Feb

There are trains every 1/2 hour all day long. Leave Florence Santa Maria Novella station at 8:28,9:28,10:28 on an RV train which takes 1 hour. Return at 13:32,14:32,15:32,16:32,17:32 also on a train which takes an hour.

There are trains in between these times which take 1 hour 17 minutes.

Book 2nd class. You can buy the tickets at the station from a ticket machine which will "speak" to you in English. No need to purchase early as tickets cost Euro 7.80 & are not discounted. I found what happened to you, i.e., Feb shows tickets via Roma on the Red Arrow trains. Nevermind! The trenitalia system here does not show the regional train schedules until the week before the service. ....don't even ask why.....

You will be fine. I suggest that you plan to walk through the old part of Pisa next to the Piazza dei Miracoli after you have seen the tower, etc. You might also want to stroll along the Arno. Happy trails!

London
reviews: 37
5. Re: How to travel from Florence train station to Pisa (tower)

That's very helpful. Thanks. I just ran into the same madness from the Trenitalia website and did not understand it.

Amsterdam, The...
6. Re: How to travel from Florence train station to Pisa (tower)

I'd like to travel to Pisa Tower on sunday 10 August 2014 from Florence(near Airport) by train. Can someonde help me out here?

Thank you in advance

Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: How to travel from Florence train station to Pisa (tower)

I'd like to travel to Pisa Tower on sunday 10 August 2014 from Florence(near Airport) by train. Can someone help me out here?

Thank you in advance

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
8. Re: How to travel from Florence train station to Pisa (tower)

Train times are on www.trenitalia.com from Firenze S. M. Novella to Pisa Centrale until June 9 and you can see the fares if you use a date within the next seven days. Times in August will be almost identical. Click the UK flag on the website for English. Buses from the Stazione to the Torre are frequent even on Sundays cpt.pisa.it/orari/pisa/orariPDF/4010i_FS.pdf

Edited: 7:44 am, January 30, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
9. Re: How to travel from Florence train station to Pisa (tower)

Thank you for your great help! I have the rates now and probaby it wil be the same in August. I will stay at

Via Volturno 5, Loc. Osmannoro SESTO FIORENTINO - 50019 FIRENZE and so I also have to travel to Firenze S.M. Novella but that probably will be easy ;-)

Do you also have more ideas of do en don'ts for Firenze besides hop on - hop off tourbus?

Thank you in advance

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
10. Re: How to travel from Florence train station to Pisa (tower)

From Sesto Fiorentino train station you change trains at Firenze Rifredi, not at Firenze S.M. Novella. The Trenitalia website will show the through times from Sesto Fiorentino to Pisa Centrale.

Reply to: How to travel from Florence train station to Pisa (tower)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted