We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa to Lucca by bus

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 22
Pisa to Lucca by bus

Hi,

We are planning a day trip to both Pisa and Lucca from Florence on Saturday 3rd November... planning to catch a train arriving at Pisa Central Station at 9:30am..

1) I think the walk from central station to the leaning tower is approx 30 mins?

2) For those of you who have climbed the tower - is it worth it? 17euro is quite expensive so we are 2 minds about it at the moment... does the ticket include visit to other sights?

3) I found a bus time table from Pisa to Lucca

vaibus.com/pdf/Extraurbano_inverno_2012_13.p…

but not sure what is the bus stop closest to the tower is called or where it is located? Does the bus run on reduced timetable during weekend? Would you please help advise which bus (time wise) to catch if we want to arrive in Lucca around midday?

4) On the way from Lucca back to Florence - would it be easier to catch a train? I think this is a regional train so ticket can be bought on the day?

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you very much in advance!

Edited: 7:59 pm, October 04, 2012
16 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
1. Re: Pisa to Lucca by bus

The Tower climb is very much worth it. In fact, I think you shouldn't even go to Pisa if you won't climb the Tower. Otherwise, the customary few pictures from below (with everyone pretending to be holding up the Tower) won't take you more that 10-15 minutes, certainly not worth the effort of time and money investment.

The climb itself is interesting (provided you don't have vertigo) because you never seen to be walking straight. Do not stop on the way up to admire the view too much. Go all the way to the top first. Take pictures and admire the view there. Only look at the lower floors later on the way down. The 30-minute window is strictly enforced. The guide will literally bark at you to get down when the end of 30 minutes approaches.

Make sure you book your climb window at least 16 days in advance online to guarantee a time slot. You can then plan the rest of your day accordingly.

http://boxoffice.opapisa.it/Torre/index.jsp

I drove between Pisa and Lucca so I cannot offer much on public transport. I do know both trains and bus connect between the two and onto Florence. There are buses than connect Pisa Centrale to The Leaning Tower or you can walk. If you can find a train that stops at Pisa San Rossore, that station is closer to The Tower. From Pisa San Rossore, you should be able to get the train to Lucca.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
2. Re: Pisa to Lucca by bus

Yes, the walk is 30 mins max. I think climbing the tower is worth the money, but that 17 euro ticket is expensive and doesn't get you into any other monuments. The climb is fun as you can really feel the lean of the tower as you go up and the views from the top of the duomo and the rooftops of Pisa are very good. As sammyfloyd says your best bet to go on to Lucca is to walk the 5 mins or so to Pisa San Rossore train station, which is on the Lucca line.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
3. Re: Pisa to Lucca by bus

You can get all sorts of combination tickets at the site, including tickets to the Baptistery, the Duomo, and the Camposanto (monumental cemetery). The cemetery was amazing; I think it shouldn't be missed. We didn't climb the tower. Climbing things doesn't arouse much enthusiasm in me.

Surrey, United...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Pisa to Lucca by bus

Hi,

For the bus to Lucca you need to catch the Vaibus no Q03, the bus stop is on Via Bonanno right on the corner of Piazza Daniele Manin as you exit the campo dei miracoli, where the leaning tower and duomo are. Tickets can be bought at tobacconists and news-stands costing 3 euro pp, you validate them in the yellow machine on the bus which is situated by the driver. Bus terminal is within the walls of Lucca on Piazzale G Verdi. There is a bus that departs Via Bonanno, Pisa at 11.12 hrs arriving in Lucca just before midday at 11.57hrs.

mesh

Savannah, GA
reviews: 15
5. Re: Pisa to Lucca by bus

Urge you not to limit your visit to climbing the tower. Please visit the Duomo, the Baptistery and the Campo Santo. All are amazing, beautiful, memorable. if you've time, the little museum is also worthwhile.

Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: Pisa to Lucca by bus

Thank you all so much for your replies!

We've been told that catching a bus between Pisa and Lucca is a better choice as scenery is beautiful... and we plan to catch a train back from Lucca to Florence...

Thank you Mesh for instruction of where to catch the bus from and the time, we should make that bus no worries :)

And I think we will climb the tower - it sounds like a unique experience :) And hopefully we will have time to at least have a quick look around Duomo or Baptistery.. which would you recommend if we only have time for one?

Can't wait to be in Italy - 3 more weeks to go!!!!

singapore
reviews: 50
7. Re: Pisa to Lucca by bus

hi mokomoko, do update on your trip as I will be making the exact same itinerary for a one day florence-pisa-lucca-florence! Still not very confident from pisa-lucca-florence, so please do update this bit if possible!

have a swelling good trip!/kit

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
reviews: 30
8. Re: Pisa to Lucca by bus

Hi Milokitts, what are you not so confident about, please trust me either way- bus or train its easy, personally I don't favour one method over the other, whatever suits your timings is best, the bus to Lucca has a tiny advantage of arriving at the bottom of one of the main streets, the train outside the walls, but we are talking less than 10mins difference to reach the centre of town. Let us know if you have specific concerns I think we can ease them between us....

Homebush, Australia
9. Re: Pisa to Lucca by bus

Can you only buy bus tickets at the tobacconists and news-stands or can you get them on the bus itself ?

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
reviews: 30
10. Re: Pisa to Lucca by bus

You can buy them on the bus-in theory. Not all the bus drivers appear to have either tickets or machines. You can also buy tickets at Pisa airport. Should you be close to the bus time , head straight for the bus, if the driver does not have tickets he will generally waive you on, but if he has tickets just don't land him with any note bigger than €10, they don't carry much, if any, float,,,,,,,

Reply to: Pisa to Lucca by bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted