We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa to Cinque Terre by train; Pisa to Rome by Train

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Pisa to Cinque Terre by train; Pisa to Rome by Train

I plan on going from Pisa to Cinque Terre for a day, and then back to Pisa. Here are my questions:

1) What is the ideal / most efficient way to get from Pisa to Cinque Terre and back?

2) When do the Pisa / Cinque Terre Train stations open and close? (i.e. what is the earliest time I can catch a train from Pisa to Cinque Terre, and then the latest time from Cinque Terre to Pisa)

On to Rome from Pisa..What is the best way to get to Rome from Pisa by train?

I would much appreciate any help! Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 13
1. Re: Pisa to Cinque Terre by train; Pisa to Rome by Train

The Cinque Terre is made up of 5 individual villages. You will have to use the name of one of them to get train schedules. I would advise you to go to the most northern village (Monterosso) and work your way back toward Pisa from the southern most village (Riomaggiore).

These are regional trains so schedules and fares won't be available after 7 days so use a comparable date within the next week.

You can also see the available trains from Pisa to Rome. Some will route you through Florence to connect with fast trains, but there are trains direct from Pisa.

http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html

TAB

Edited: 12:33 am, March 05, 2012
South Australia
reviews: 12
2. Re: Pisa to Cinque Terre by train; Pisa to Rome by Train

Train to your destinations check train times upto May

and Regional train fares are shown seven days in advance.

www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Cinque Terre train schedule enter the name of a village ie:Monterosso

www.cinqueterreonline.com

www.romeinfo.com

Berkeley, California
reviews: 3
3. Re: Pisa to Cinque Terre by train; Pisa to Rome by Train

I have the same question, as to whether you can get one ONE Train from Pisa and land in Monterosso. Still not clear, but I guess I will find out. Staying in a teach town near Pisa as I want to swim in the mornings before spending hours on a train. : )

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
4. Re: Pisa to Cinque Terre by train; Pisa to Rome by Train

Have a look at the Trenitalia web site referenced in reply #2, using a travel date in the next 7 days. It will show where you have to change trains, in the column headed "Change station".

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
5. Re: Pisa to Cinque Terre by train; Pisa to Rome by Train

There are direct InterCity trains from Pisa to Monterosso. But not very many of them. If you take one of these the journey is only one hour and 10 minutes, so you will hardly be spending 'hours on the train'.

Stockholm
6. Re: Pisa to Cinque Terre by train; Pisa to Rome by Train

I find a movie about taking the train from Pisa to cinque terre..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj6BgMCtRwc

Boise, Idaho
reviews: 33
7. Re: Pisa to Cinque Terre by train; Pisa to Rome by Train

You will have many more options going from Pisa to La Spezia then catching a train to Monterosa or any of the other villages.

The trains leave/return Pisa to/from La Spezia pretty much at least once during each hour. Then it is a short ride from La Spezia to the Cinque Terra. I bought the tickets in Pisa for both going and returning, just have to validate them at the station before you get on. It's an open ticket so good for anytime you choose. Find a time you like from the website others have given the link to. I think I had to click the Frecce tab to get into the area that let me look up those time tables.,

One suggestion, once at La Spezia get the ticket that is good for the day to ride the regional train . I think it is around 10 or 11 Euros. You can ride between towns all you want, don't have to buy separate tickets and save money.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
8. Re: Pisa to Cinque Terre by train; Pisa to Rome by Train

You would do best to look on the Trenitalia web site for journeys from Pisa to the CT village of your choice. For some journeys, you need to change trains at Sarzano rather than La Spezia.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
9. Re: Pisa to Cinque Terre by train; Pisa to Rome by Train

Post 7 said <It's an open ticket so good for anytime you choose.... I think I had to click the Frecce tab to get into the area that let me look up those time tables.>

it's only an open ticket if you travel entirely by Regional trains. Some connections use Intercity and Freccianianca trains - you cannot travel on these with a regional ticket.

If using the trenitalia website in Italian, you must click the 'tutti i treni' tab. But if you click the British flag at the top to get the English version, there is no need to click any tab,

Ashland, Oregon
10. Re: Pisa to Cinque Terre by train; Pisa to Rome by Train

As of Sept. 1, 2013 the TrenItalia website mentioned above is showing no trains between Pisa and anywhere (like Pisa to Roma!). Safe to say it's screwed up but the http://www.raileurope.com/index.html Rail Europe site also shows plenty including the runs between the CT towns.

Pisa to La Spezia is $10 and up and from there you can get a pass for the CT trains, I believe. 12 trains between 7am and 2pm.

Reply to: Pisa to Cinque Terre by train; Pisa to Rome by Train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted