We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - Pisa Airport

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
reviews: 50
Car Hire - Pisa Airport

Anyone have recent experience of picking up vehicle from the car hire building at the airport ? Previous comments over the years seem to relate to long delays waiting firstly for the shuttle bus ( can you walk instead ? ) and then for the actual collection itself .

I am arriving week Sunday at approx 1.00pm and have booked with Hertz .

Thanks

40 replies to this topic
Bangor, Northern...
reviews: 50
1. Re: Car Hire - Pisa Airport

Hi red rum ,

We did this a couple of weeks ago , and following problems related on this site, We sent my hubbie running over to carhire while the rest of us dealt with the luggage retrieval etc . This worked for us!!

Problems seem to arrive at the minibus shuttle over to the car hire area - certainly when we were returning our car on the 20th August , there were huge queues for the bus . It is not really that far - maybe 700 metres - so you could leave your luggage to companions and run over ! or if you have wheels on your case go for it to beat the queues .

It seems to depend on what time your flight gets in , and if there are lots of others arriving around the same time . We have had problems in the past trying to get taxis late at night from PIsa airport too.

Good luck!

Ayrshire
reviews: 16
2. Re: Car Hire - Pisa Airport

If you are arriving on a Sunday and out of the peak season there should be no long wait for the shuttle bus. Safest option really. However,this is Italy and everything is done in slow motion. Car hire building is totally separate from pick-up area and arrivals hall and previous suggestion seems okay so long as only one named driver. No point stressing about queues. Enjoy your holiday.

Liverpool, United...
3. Re: Car Hire - Pisa Airport

Can anybody please recommend a reliable car hire company at Pisa airport.

We will be travelling in August (party of 8) and we are loking to hire a people carrier/minivan.

Thanks

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 12
4. Re: Car Hire - Pisa Airport

All the normal suspects are there, Hertz, Avis, etc. There will be few with the size you need so your choices may be limited. Also with 8 people, pay attention to the luggage capacity. We had to hire a 7 passenger van to accommodate 5 people plus luggage.

I avoid renting through Eurocar at that location because every car I've picked up there has been filthy inside and out. I use AutoEurope.co.uk (http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/) to price the different models. If Eurocar ends up having the car I wanted, I've been able to switch my reservation to another company by contacting AutoEurope after I get my voucher.

TAB

Edited: 4:03 pm, February 27, 2012
Liverpool, United...
5. Re: Car Hire - Pisa Airport

Thanks for the advice TAB..would you recommend paying the collision waiver excess.....It seems to be omitted from all quotesbut seems preferable than paying over £1000 should there be a slight scratch on the car door!!!

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 12
6. Re: Car Hire - Pisa Airport

Auto Europe has a zero excess rate but after dealing with a reimbursement scheme once before that took months to resolve and a paperwork nightmare, I just plan on buying the supercover when I get there. Sometimes it is reasonable and sometimes it's too expensive. I usually decline the theft part.

TAB

Plymouth, United...
reviews: 15
7. Re: Car Hire - Pisa Airport

Whatever you do avoid Goldcar.They are a disgusting money-grabbing outfit with downright rude staff.

dublin, ireland
reviews: 34
8. Re: Car Hire - Pisa Airport

AVOID GOLDCAR. We booked them two weeks ago and the car broke down. We had cover, so an engineer from the insurance company came out to check it. He started the car again, stating that it was the battery and the lights must have been left on, which they weren't - and had just driven the car for a very long distance. When he heard that he checked it again and said that in fact the car's battery was bad - not just temporarily dead. He wanted to take the car, but Goldcar would not replace it, so we kept it because we had to travel so far back to our accomodation. As expected it wouldn't start the next day and had to get neighbours to give a jump start. Gold car started to call and aggressively tell us to have the car back on time or else. When the car was eventually started & returned to the airport they wouldn't return the 1,500euro deposit - they said that the car would have to be checked to make sure that we hadn't damaged it (this is what you get for notifying them of faults in their own car!). A row ensued for a few hours where they threatened calling the police. They were so rude throughout. Eventually one member of staff was a little more polite and checked the car's exterior and signed off on that so that we could leave. We would have had to wait another hour or so for the car to be checked properly to get our deposit back there and then, so have to wait for that. They told us they wouldn't charge for the extra day!!!! Nothing about the fact that they ruined two days of our holiday. It was booked through CARTRAWLER who explained that although they were extremely sorry that this had all happened, it really has nothing to do with them. ALSO - REGARDING PETROL they have this policy where you have to pay 90euro for the tank of this very small car to be full when you take it - apart from the fact that we couldn't use the car, no small car like that costs 90euro to fill, so you'd definitely lose out on that too. JUST AVOID THEM COMPLETELY

London, United...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Car Hire - Pisa Airport

Hi, we have one named driver and I'm wondering if they go to pick up the car (while I wait with the luggage) is it possible for them to drive back past the arrivals exit and pick me up? Or would we have to take the luggage across to the other building? The car rental at Pisa sounds a bit of a nightmare.

Plymouth, United...
reviews: 15
10. Re: Car Hire - Pisa Airport

You can drive back around but it's very awkward and badly signposted.You'd be better carryiong luggage to bus stop -its only 100-150 yards and it drops you off right outside the door of the hire fcar building.

Reply to: Car Hire - Pisa Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted