We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Lucca a good choice?

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire, UK
reviews: 43
Is Lucca a good choice?

Hi everyone,

My grandparents are looking to book a holiday for September and can't find any inspiration - I was thinking of suggesting Italy as they took me there many times as a child (Sorrento, the lakes, the Riviera, Venice) and have more recently enjoyed holidays in lesser developed areas of Turkey but can't the long flight. They like exploring so I was wondering if Lucca would be a good choice. They want somewhere with plenty of restaurants and quiet bars for the evening, with good transport links for exploring the local area during the day. They would want a small and friendly hotel for a good price; it doesn't matter if it's basic or has a pool. I know that brochure holidays to Tuscany aren't easy to come by so would it be easy for them to "do it themselves" - they are active 60-somethings.

Thanks for any advice in advance :)

Amy

10 replies to this topic
Miami, Florida
reviews: 24
1. Re: Is Lucca a good choice?

Lucca is a beautiful town in Tuscany. I visited San Gimignano, Siena and Lucca. It was raining and the town was closed for some reason, can't remember what day of the week I was there (2 years ago). They have day tours that will take you to all 3 places and I definately suggest taking such a tour if you have the time to do so. We booked ours outside of Florence, the hotel's concierge can also help you.

Paramus, New Jersey
reviews: 77
2. Re: Is Lucca a good choice?

I would suggest Montecatini Terme. It is a lovely town located in central Tuscany. Great shops, restaurants and by far it has one of the Best Gelato shops. Its about 30-40 minutes to Florence, Pisa the beach. Hour and half to Siena(one of my favorite cities). They have a train station just a few blocks from the center of town. You can get great hotel rates. There also know for the spa's (terme) & spring water. The water there is considered a fountain of youth. I do have to say I went to a Terme twice for a mineral water bath with ozone. That nite at dinner I turned to my wife. For the first time in over fifteen years I did not have one ach or pain in my body. I was shocked. Look into this town. If you are interested message me and I can give you some more information.

Good luck

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g194830-Montecatini_…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montecatini_Terme

albuquerque
reviews: 18
3. Re: Is Lucca a good choice?

Lucca would be a great choice. It's very walkable, plenty of quiet bars and nice restaurants as well as cafes, gelaterie, etc. There are good bus and train connections.

I like the hotel Piccolo Puccini which is simple, family run, very friendly staff, and in a great location. One easy flight of stairs.

Lucca, Italy
4. Re: Is Lucca a good choice?

For your grandparentes Lucca is a very good choice it's small quite town, they can walk without cars in the town center, they can walk on the walls, there are some good hotels and if they want the can rent olso an apartment. They can make tour around Tuscany with private taxi anda they can have olso a guide.

Ayrshire
reviews: 15
5. Re: Is Lucca a good choice?

Lucca is an excellent choice. We are also sixty-somethings and have spent many holidays in this area , which we have really enjoyed. Suggest you keep looking at Tripadvisor for suggestions on travel and accommodations in and around the city. The public transport is excellent and the coach from Pisa Airport could not be easier. 3 euros for a single journey is so inexpensive. Hotels and B&B are booking fast for September so advise you look soon.

Lucca, Italy
reviews: 23
6. Re: Is Lucca a good choice?

Lucca is definitively the best choice. It's beautiful, very well located and ideal for day excursions to other places in Tuscany

albuquerque
reviews: 18
7. Re: Is Lucca a good choice?

Jaybee is correct about booking quickly for September. There is a big festa in Lucca every September and no doubt that week is already pretty booked.

Savannah, GA
8. Re: Is Lucca a good choice?

Having said that, if they COULD get a booking in Lucca around Sept. 14, the festa is amazing.

Savannah, GA
9. Re: Is Lucca a good choice?

SORRY, the festa is Sept. 13th.

Warwickshire
reviews: 6
10. Re: Is Lucca a good choice?

Lucca would be an excellent choice for your parents. As has been said, it is a lovely town, and has several excellent restaurants. You asked about good transport links and, amongst other places, they could easily visit both Pisa and Florence from Lucca. Not sure how much it costs, but the hotel Alla Corte Degli Angeli is quite small and has a certain charm. (My wife certainly liked it!) http://www.allacortedegliangeli.it/

Reply to: Is Lucca a good choice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lucca