We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Lucca from Furore or Amalfi

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
reviews: 170
Best way to get to Lucca from Furore or Amalfi

I will be on a group tour that ends in Furore on a Saturday morning. The tour will provide a group bus ride to Amalfi if I want one.

I will not have a car. What is the best way to get from either Furore or Amalfi to Lucca? Is there a train station in Salerno where I can buy a ticket to Lucca? Roughly how long should the trip take?

South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Best way to get to Lucca from Furore or Amalfi

Train Salerno to Lucca www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
2. Re: Best way to get to Lucca from Furore or Amalfi

Between 5.25 and 6 hours Salerno to Lucca and about 70 minutes from Amalfi to Salerno via bus; if there is a ferry running when you are there (I don't know when you are going), it would be a much more comfortable enjoyable way to travel as the buses on the Amalfi Coast road are a misery as they get packed and people end up standing, etc. Do consider the ferry to Salerno from Amalfi if it running -

Tampa, Florida
3. Re: Best way to get to Lucca from Furore or Amalfi

Thanks for the great info. I'll be leaving Furore on July 6, so the ferry should be operating.

I'll be staying at an agrihotel in Furore, and I need to end up in Lucca. When we check out of our hotel in Furore, we are on our own from that point, or we can take a free ride to Amalfi. I won't have a car, so somehow I'll have to get from Furore to Salerno.

It sounds like I need to:

1. Take the free ride to Amalfi

2. Take the ferry to Salerno

3. Take the train from Salerno to Lucca, changing trains twice.

I looked at the train table, but I'm not familiar with the stations in Italy. It looks like I'll have to change trains twice between Salerno and Lucca. Is that correct?

In the long run, might it just be easier and less expensive to rent a car in Amalfi and drive? In the U.S., there are extra dropoff fees when you rent a car for just one way. Is that the case in Italy also?

Eichstätt, Bayern...
4. Re: Best way to get to Lucca from Furore or Amalfi

Hi, I answered also somewhat to your question on the Naples forum: tripadvisor.com/…47165687

To recap you do have a few choices:

A) - Take a SITA Bus (or in your case as it is offered a free ride to Amalfi)

- Connect to the ferry to Salerno (35 minutes instead of approx. 70 mins on a bus)

- Take the train to Lucca, if taking high-speed trains (either Trenitalia www.trenitalia.com or NTV Italo www.italotreno.it ) you only change trains once in "Firenze S. M. Novella" from where you take a Regional Trenitalia train to Lucca.

B) - Take a SITA Bus in the other direction, preferably directly to Naples sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5080.pdf The timetable shows you having to connect to another bus in Agerola, with a short wait. Sometimes it will be the same bus continuing on, so it's always best to ask the driver

- Take a high-speed train to "Firenze S. M. Novella" with either Trenitalia or NTV Italo, then connect on to Lucca.

Edited: 3:17 pm, February 10, 2013
Tampa, Florida
5. Re: Best way to get to Lucca from Furore or Amalfi

Thanks so much. I think the ferry/train options sound a bit more comfortable than the buses, I didn't know about the NTV Italo trains, so that info is very helpful too!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
6. Re: Best way to get to Lucca from Furore or Amalfi

If you were going to go Lucca an dthen explore the Tuscan countryside for a few days (or more), then renting a car might make sense but if it is just to get fro one place to another - the ferry and train are your most comfy and likely your most cost effective way to go.

Relax and enjoy - the ferry ride will be lovely; it's beautiful seeing the Ac from the sea.

7. Re: Best way to get to Lucca from Furore or Amalfi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lucca