We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourtist tax to be implemented in Lucca April 2013

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, United...
reviews: 4
Tourtist tax to be implemented in Lucca April 2013

Like many other places in Italy, the tourist tax finally arrives in Lucca! From 1st April 2013 the city Council of Lucca will impose a tax for overnight stays ranging from 1 to 3 euros per person per night (children under 14 years are exempt) based on the nightly charge of the accommodation. According to the comune.lucca.it website the tax is charged as follows: "From 1.00 euro to 29.99 euros tax is 1 euro; from 30.00 euros to 69.99 euros the tax is 1.50 euro; from 70 euros to 99.99 euros tax is 2 euros; from100.00 euros to129.99 euros tax is 2.50 euros and from 130.00 euros upwards the tax is 3.00 euros."

mesh

Auckland Region...
reviews: 25
1. Re: Tourtist tax to be implemented in Lucca April 2013

bugger....

i heard whispers but didn't think it was true!!!

Argh...

not exactly going to attract people to make Lucca more than a day trip...

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 12
2. Re: Tourtist tax to be implemented in Lucca April 2013

<<not exactly going to attract people to make Lucca more than a day trip...>.

It doesn't seem to keep people away from all the cities like Rome, Venice, Florence, etc that have started these fees.

Mesh, that link didn't work for me. Do you have another?

TAB

Surrey, United...
3. Re: Tourtist tax to be implemented in Lucca April 2013

TAB, just quoting the source, website is: …lucca.it/flex/…11248

mesh

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 12
4. Re: Tourtist tax to be implemented in Lucca April 2013

Thanks, I'll miss it this go round.

TAB

Surrey, United...
5. Re: Tourtist tax to be implemented in Lucca April 2013

Our daughter's going in April with her boyfriend to introduce him to the delights of the city, first time for her staying in a hotel in Lucca so she will have to pay. We will be there from the end of June to the beginning of August, but it's just the way things are now, suppose it had to come eventually!

mesh

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
6. Re: Tourtist tax to be implemented in Lucca April 2013

That's amazing it has taken so long - Was introduced in Rome two years ago and, I agree, it hasn't impacted people from going - if you can afford to go, a few extra euros a night is highly unlikely to deter anyone.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
7. Re: Tourtist tax to be implemented in Lucca April 2013

I suppose the alternative would be to increase taxes on local businesses, which would then have to put their prices up.....

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 8
8. Re: Tourtist tax to be implemented in Lucca April 2013

I suppose it is one of those things where for the individual, the tax is not that much that it will deter people but it is a good revenue raising exercise when multiplied by the large number of tourists.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 25
9. Re: Tourtist tax to be implemented in Lucca April 2013

>>It doesn't seem to keep people away from all the cities like Rome, Venice, Florence, etc that have started these fees.<<

Ahh yes, this is true but will it increase the amount of people going only for a day, rather than spending more time in these cities....

Look at Venezia...A prime example where most people only go for the day or at the most a night and often now a night in Mestre!!...and the strain on the infrastructure is immense compared to what these day people pay back into the system.

All of us know who have been to Venezia in Summer, it is diabolical..

Hence the need for these 'taxes' because of the cost of these day trippers on the system but they seem to be taxes that penalise those of us that do stay longer than a day and gladly contribute to the local economy....

Perhaps the tax should be related to day trippers?

Who knows... no doubt a lively debate will occur....

It hasn't stopped me going to Venezia etc....i gladly pay... i understand the need for it, as in Lucca...

And it won't stop me coming to Lucca but it could make people stay in the villages etc rather than in the city itself.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
10. Re: Tourtist tax to be implemented in Lucca April 2013

A lot of the daytrippers to Venice are coming off the cruise ships. I really find it hard to imagine that 2 or euros is going to keep people from staying the night. Well, nobody I know anyway.

Get answers to your questions about Lucca