We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best train to travel on from Rome to Lucca

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Best train to travel on from Rome to Lucca

Hi there everyone,

Well finally after 5 years we are returning to Lucca in May. The excitement is building daily in the household.

We had a marvellous time in Lucca in 2007 and 8 and have been longing to return ever since.

Anyway being another 5 years older my arthritis is not being so kind to both my husband and myself so we are wondering if anyone has any suggestions about which train we should catch to Lucca. We appreciate the train will go either via Florence or Pisa. I find pulling myself up the steps to get on to the train quite hard. Does anyone know if there are any trains that you can basically just walk on to and save climbing steps. Happy to travel 1st class. There will be 5 adults travelling and a 3 year old. Just want to be comfortable and get on the train gracefully. Thanks for any helpful hints.

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 3
1. Re: Best train to travel on from Rome to Lucca

First class carriages are the same height, and therefore have the same number of steps, as 2nd class carriages on the same train: it would be a bit odd if they weren't!

High-speed trains such as EuroStar/Frecciarossa and Italo are lower down than regional ones: see

- www.seat61.com/frecciarossa.htm#.UQ2sK6XC2So and

- http://www.seat61.com/italo.htm#.UQ2seKXC2So

but I don't think it makes much difference, in terms of steps, WHICH of these trains you choose between Rome and Florence - and between Florence and Lucca, as far as I know you can only travel by R train.

You can, however, get help: www.italiarail.com/travellers-disabilities

Eichstätt, Bayern...
2. Re: Best train to travel on from Rome to Lucca

Some new Regional trainsets like the "Minuetto" have low (almost even to the platform) entries. Though I'm not sure what rolling stock is used on trains between Florence and Lucca.

it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FS_ALn_501-001.JPG

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pescara_Stazione_Centrale_Lupetto_03_(raboe).jpg

Edited: 8:36 pm, February 02, 2013
Auckland Region...
3. Re: Best train to travel on from Rome to Lucca

Thanks, both of you for your helpful information :)

4. Re: Best train to travel on from Rome to Lucca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lucca