We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 days for Bologna and Liguria area - ideas for itinerary?

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 76
12 days for Bologna and Liguria area - ideas for itinerary?

After 2-1/2 weeks in Rome my husband and I will be taking the train north and would like to visit the areas of Bologna, Cinque Terre, Lucca. I would like ideas on whether it is doable, where to go first, best way to get there, where to stay, how long to stay in each place and the best things to do. I would like to take at least one cooking class for the day. We are both in our late 60's and will rent a car only when needed. We will then go back to Rome for the night to catch our flight home. I know this a lot of info, but would appreciate all suggestions, even if its for one area. Many thanks.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
1. Re: 12 days for Bologna and Liguria area - ideas for itinerary?

You don't need a car, I would travel by train. You don't say what time of year you will be going or how long you have in total for this part of your trip, so it is difficult to advise of the time to spend in each place. I would think Bologna would be a good place to look for a cookery class.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 76
2. Re: 12 days for Bologna and Liguria area - ideas for itinerary?

We will be going the first of May and will have 12 days for all the areas.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
3. Re: 12 days for Bologna and Liguria area - ideas for itinerary?

I think 3 nights in Cinque Terre is plenty and 2-3 nights in Lucca. That leaves you quite a good amount of time left. If you stayed in Bologna then you could see the city and have a number of great daytrips to take by train. Florence, Parma, Modena, Padua, Ferrara, Verona and more.

4. Re: 12 days for Bologna and Liguria area - ideas for itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lucca