We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dropping rental car near Lucca.

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, ontario
reviews: 1
Dropping rental car near Lucca.

My husband and I are renting a car in Rome to get to a rural Tuscany destination for a few days.

This is the hotel:

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g227886-d231277-…

Monteriggioni, Italy

It seemed that this trip was best done by car. However, we are then heading to Lucca for a number of days (and we'd like to ditch our rental car, as we'll be continuing on via train to Pisa and then the south of France.

I'm looking for any advice about where it might be most convenient to drop off a rental car. (We'd like to avoid driving in Lucca as much as possible.)

Also, any other suggestions for picking up a rental near Rome and leaving one near Lucca would be appreciated!

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 13
1. Re: Dropping rental car near Lucca.

There are Hertz, Sixt, and Avis agencies in Lucca (just outside the walls), if you rent from one of these agencies. Otherwise you could return the car in Pisa or at the airport and take the bus/train back to Lucca.

TAB

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
2. Re: Dropping rental car near Lucca.

You can't drive IN Lucca: the whole area within the walls is prohibited to visitors' cars.

There are no rental offices out in the countryside, so you will have to drop the car at a town. As you are staying in Lucca, that is the obvious choice.

Surrey, United...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Dropping rental car near Lucca.

That's not right. You can drive within the walls and avoid the ZTL zones, so long as you're aware of where they are: www.metrosrl.it/pdf/Varchi_Elettronici.pdf

mesh

Edited: 6:27 pm, January 28, 2013
north carolina
reviews: 114
4. Re: Dropping rental car near Lucca.

And at least the Avis office in Lucca is convenient and easy. I have not used the others.

Cambridge, ontario
5. Re: Dropping rental car near Lucca.

Thank you so much. Good to know there is a place outside the walls to drop it, as that seems a lot simpler. Thank you so much.

Lake Macquarie...
reviews: 107
6. Re: Dropping rental car near Lucca.

Hello Maria V.

I came across your question when searching for a past question in Trip Advisor.

We are also renting a vehicle to visit Umbria and Tuscany.

We will be catching the train from Rome to Orvieto (not wanting to drive in Rome itself!!!) to collect our rental vehicle.

We have rented from Hertz in Orvieto. The Hertz office is right across from the train station.

We are having our rental for quite some time and the last 7 days of our Italian journey will be in Lucca. After the 4th day in Lucca we are dropping the vehicle back to Hertz (we plan to use a combination of train/bus for the last 3 days).

The drop off at Lucca for Hertz is Via Catalani 59, Lucca.

I don't know if this will work for you (may be you have already made your plans), however I received valuable assistance from Trip Advisors quite a long time ago when trying to organise this coming holiday. The overall consensus was to train it from Rome to Orvieto.

Have a lovely holiday!!

Cambridge, ontario
7. Re: Dropping rental car near Lucca.

So helpful! Thank you!

8. Re: Dropping rental car near Lucca.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 04, 2014