We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips - 5 days to explore

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 23
Day trips - 5 days to explore

We will be staying in a villa near Lucca for 5 days this spring, actually having 4 full days to explore. We plan tovisit Florence for a day, explore the CT another day, and also visit Lucca. Where do you suggest we should venture for the final day, or along the way to these destinations? Barga and San Gimignano both look really interesting. We will have a car.

After our 5 days in Tuscany, we will head to Rome so we can make a stop along that route as well. Thanks for recommendations.

reviews: 23
11. Re: Day trips - 5 days to explore

Ok, thank you for your advice. You make it sound like it won't be too confusing once we are actually doing it and that's great. I'll stick with the original plan and check AutoEurope for rental prices from Pisa for the 5 days we spend in Tuscany.

Surrey, United...
reviews: 4
12. Re: Day trips - 5 days to explore

This thread gives information about parking at Lucca train station:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…44483199

mesh

Madison, WI
reviews: 31
13. Re: Day trips - 5 days to explore

<<if you're from the US or a non EU county, you'll need an Int'l Driving Permit. AAA issues them for about $20.00, bring a passport type photo.>> Who requires this? The car rental company?The local police? I purchased one of these 15 years ago for a visit to Portugal and no one ever asked to see it. And 5 years ago, I rented a car in Spain for 10 days without this and had no problem. Is this a waste of $20, or will not having it prevent one from renting a car in Italy, France or wherever?? Thanks.

Surrey, United...
reviews: 4
14. Re: Day trips - 5 days to explore

Hi Oregonslim,

This is taken from the article posted in reply no3. "If you have a full driving license from an EU country, this is all you will need. If you have a license from a non-EU country you will need to take your driving license and also an international driving permit with you. You should carry these documents and the rental car agreement with you, in case you are stopped by the police. Some form of photo ID is also required."

mesh

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 12
15. Re: Day trips - 5 days to explore

<<Who requires this?>> The Italian police and more and more car rental companies will want to see when you pick up the car. There is an immediate fine if stopped by the police and you can't produce an IDP. I have been through numerous random document check along the roads and have to show my IDP at every one. Last year the car rental company even used the IDP number as my driver's license number on the rental contract.

Whatever you did in the past has no bearing on what is required today. People will say that they never "waste" the money and get away with it but it is a chance you take.

TAB

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
16. Re: Day trips - 5 days to explore

Agreed. I have heard of plenty of people being asked to show it by the Italian police and some people who have been asked to show it by the rental company. You absolutely do need it, if you come from outside the EU.

17. Re: Day trips - 5 days to explore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lucca