We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucca Itinerary

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Macquarie...
reviews: 58
Lucca Itinerary

Hello,

We have the following days staying in Lucca and wondering if the itinerary below is doable?

By rental car, arrive Lucca from Sovicille (Siena) mid afternoon staying just outside the walls.

General look around Lucca, getting supplies etc.

2nd day - Drive to Bagni Lucca then to Barga, Castiglione di Gargagnana, Camporgiano and back to Lucca.

3rd day - Drive to Montecatini and Pescia and back to Lucca.

Drop off rental vehicle.

4th day - Train to Cinque Terre, back to Lucca

5th day - Train to Pisa or Florence for the day (can't decide which ??), back to Lucca

6th day - Lucca all day

7th day - Lucca all day

8th leave Lucca

Any feedback very much appreciated.

Lake Macquarie...
reviews: 58
11. Re: Lucca Itinerary

Hello,

I am aware that I am possibly asking too many questions, however need further assistance!

I have looked on www.lazz.it for bus timetables from Lucca to Florence and also on www.vaibus.com (however all in Italian).

Could TA please give me information on frequency of the buses on a weekend? This would be for travel toward the end of May.

Also wondering if trains to Cinque Terre are less frequent on a weekend.?

Thanking you.

Toowoomba, Australia
12. Re: Lucca Itinerary

Hi warners. We did not visit Lucca, so how lucky are you!!. But can comment on day 2. We travelled from Fivizzano to Greve via Barga. Reading my journal, I commented - we walked up to the Duomo [ beautiful , quite simple compared to some we have seen ]. High above the town with panoramic views. A lovely old town with passages, arcades, steep steps. I remember buying some delicious pastries. After leaving Barga, we drove down and spotted an old bridge off the road. I may have mentioned we are partial to bridges. Loppia perhaps. Also a very old church - circa 845. Amazing. Of course you will be stopping at Borgo a Mozzano to see the wonderful Ponte della Maddelena.

On an earlier day we drove to the Garfagna . Castiglione is lovely. Very picturesque with its walls and old castle. It was a Thursday and there was a small market where we bought some pecorino and the biggest pear I have ever seen !!! Had to weigh 400-500 grams. I have the sticker stuck on the page in my journal - Principessa. And it was delicious.

We did a day trip to Cinque Terre from Fivizzano. One section was closed when we were there, but we did do a couple of stages. It was hard work in places but an unforgettable experience. Are you planning on a visit to Collodi ?? We did consider it but there is only so much you can do in a day.

Happy travels.

Surrey, United...
reviews: 4
13. Re: Lucca Itinerary

warners1, for the Vaibus from Lucca to Florence/Firenze you need to take Vaibus no Q01, departure times Mon to Sat (feriale): 07.30 arrive Firenze 08.50, 07.55 arrive 09.15, 08.55 arrive 10.15. Others departing at 09.45 and 09.55, next one after that is at 11 .32. The last bus back departs Firenze at 19.15 arriving back in Lucca at 20.30. There is no Vaibus service on Sundays (festivo) between the two. Hope this is of some help.

mesh

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
14. Re: Lucca Itinerary

You could of course take the train to Florence too. See the trenitalia website for timetables.

15. Re: Lucca Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lucca