We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting there

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 131
Getting there

What would be the simplist, most cost effective way to get from Strasbourg to Lucca? Is flyng practical, or is it by train via Milan? I'm not used to driving on the right and don't fancy the first time being in Italy when I'm not sure where I'm going. Any suggestions are wlcome.

We are a bit pushed for time as we want to spend our time on being in Lucca rather than getting there.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
11. Re: Getting there

Bingo! Thank you sydneynick. The Swiss web site turned up trumps.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
12. Re: Getting there

Well I am happy to say I took all the advice on this thread and saved a bundle.

Before the 122 limit arrived I had a couple of "dummy runs" on both the SBB and Trenitalia web sites to sort out timetables and routes etc. I was surprised at the variations in prices from day to day. In the end I was able to book the Bael to Milan leg as soon as the callender day 122 days befor my travel arrived. Buying a "no change ticket was 78CHF as as opposed to 210CHF! (travel insurance covers any cancelation issue) I was not too worried about the train being late as knowing Swis rail the only thing likely to make it late would be a flying saucer on the tracks. However the Trenitalia web site was not going to let me book untill exactly 122 days before trave' I was up at 5am NZ time to get a super ecconomy ticket! I saw them become available. However there were no 2nd class super ecconomy tickets so I settled for one in first class at the same price as "base" in ecconomy. A few hours later I double checked and a whole different (more expensive) range was available.

It was a lot cheaper than a single ticket from either SBB or Trenitalia as "offers" dissapeared.

I could have saved even more if I hadn't only picket on the basis of time and ease of changes etc. If I had been more flexible about time, changes etc it could have been a reasonably cheap trip.

Thank you Nick and others.

One last question. We saved $. We thought we might spend some on a train meal. Are they any good?

Mooloolaba Australia
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
reviews: 50
13. Re: Getting there

Mike.....tell me where you would expect to get a good train meal ?

There is a thread running around which we have been discussing the vagaries of Italian train fare...... Me I self cater even in first class.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
14. Re: Getting there

I agree with Mausgrass. Go to a supermarket and buy some bread, meat and wine; and have a picnic on the train. The food will be much better than the train food.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
15. Re: Getting there

Well you guys have confirmed what I suspected. I thought I'd ask "just in case".

I estimate my savings on the split ticket to be around $200NZ, and that's after the first class ticket Milan to Florence, as compared to buying a single ticket from SBB or Trenitalia. I suspect the difference is even greater than if I had gone through an agent..

Edited: 3:19 pm, January 27, 2013
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
16. Re: Getting there

Further to Sydneynick's advice on buying French train tickets. I just bought some tickets for another part of the journey. I did as he suggested and listed as "Antarctica". Things went quite smoothly. I am just a bit concerned we will have to wear a penquin suit. Can you tell me where we can get some?

Mooloolaba Australia
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
reviews: 50
17. Re: Getting there

Mike ......ask your neighbours.

Just booking again today so may cross swords if in Italy mid july

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
18. Re: Getting there

>>I am just a bit concerned we will have to wear a penquin suit. Can you tell me where we can get some?<<

If you go out towards Christchurch Airport, the Antarctic Centre may have some ....

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
19. Re: Getting there

I've had a bit of a look. My size is proving problamatic for a range of reasons including penguin suits.

20. Re: Getting there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 20, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lucca