We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting there

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 142
Getting there

What would be the simplist, most cost effective way to get from Strasbourg to Lucca? Is flyng practical, or is it by train via Milan? I'm not used to driving on the right and don't fancy the first time being in Italy when I'm not sure where I'm going. Any suggestions are wlcome.

We are a bit pushed for time as we want to spend our time on being in Lucca rather than getting there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
1. Re: Getting there

This is not going to be a quick or easy journey. So far as I can see, there are no cheap or direct flights from Strasbourg to Pisa or Florence or Rome.

By train, the journey will take around 11 hours, with at least 3 changes.

You might do best to take a fast train to Paris, fly to Rome, then by train to Lucca.

You can get French train times and costs (including Strasbourg-Milan), and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

You can get Italian train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html or www.lefrecce.it and for information about online booking, see roninrome.com/%20transportation/booking-on-t…

For air travel, see www.skyscanner.net

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
2. Re: Getting there

The simplest journey by train is with changes at Basel, Milan (Milano Centrale) and Florence (Firenze S M Novella), leaving Strasbourg at 9.51. Use the TGV-europe site to Milan, then a trenitalia website.

If you wish to fly, the simplest and cheapest way may be a train to Saint Louis, a very short shuttle bus ride to Basel Airport, and an EasyJet flight to Rome (then three trains) or Venice (then shuttle bus and two trains). I'd guess you'll not save much more than a couple of hours for what will be a more complicated journey, but it might be worth checking out.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
3. Re: Getting there

Thank you for that. At least the return is simple. Fly to Gatwick.:)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
4. Re: Getting there

I havehad an experiment with the Trenitalia web site, but after I have made a selection it basically throws me out. Is that because it sees my NZ e m@il address?

I can have tickets sent to France or UK.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
5. Re: Getting there

1. Which Trenitalia web site are you using? There are at least three.

2. What exactly do you mean by " it basically throws me out"? Trenitalia will sell to anywhere in the world. You do not need to register to buy tickets.

Trenitalia issues e-tickets that you print at home.

Mooloolaba Australia
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
reviews: 63
6. Re: Getting there

Mike.... i never pre book unless its the Chunnel so buy when u arrive.

Bit like the old Kaikoura Rail Car....... ?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
7. Re: Getting there

Sydneynic I tried both the .it sites you recomended. I want to actually go in May but as a "test" I used a Feb date. I got the message "sorry but selection is not purchaseable" message.

Ahhh, the Kaikoura rail car! You obviously do not suffer long term memory loss :) I've thought about waiting until I get there but having a piece of paper in my hand reduces some of the stress.

Using the "skyscanner" website provide the flight back to the Uk so thank you for that Nick. (Flying on a Thursday was half the price of same flight on the Friday.)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
8. Re: Getting there

If your journey includes travel on a Regionale train, these trains cannot be bought online until 7 days before travel.

To save money with the cheap fares, buy now for travel on Frecce, Eurostar or InterCity trains. Buy the Regionale tickets when you get to Italy, at any Trenitalia train station.

If you wait until shortly before travel to buy tickets, you will have no difficulty in getting on the train, but you will pay the full Base price.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
9. Re: Getting there

I was trying to get tickets from Basel to Florence. I take it you are suggesting I break that into legs? Basel to Milano? then the next train is Regionale?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
10. Re: Getting there

Ah, now I understand.

The problem is that the Basel-Milan journey is on a Swiss train, and Trenitalia cannot sell online tickets for Swiss trains.

Book Basel-Milan with the Swiss train operator - www.sbb.ch/en - and Milan-Florence with Trenitalia. Allow yourself some "wriggle time" in Milan.

Get answers to your questions about Lucca