We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucca apartment review

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
reviews: 6
Lucca apartment review

We rented the Casa Guiliana apartment from Sidrak Masetti for 5 nights. The apartment is just as the pictures depict, but the advertisement is not completely truthful. The ad claims that the apartment is on the first floor, which is the second floor American, but this apartment is on the 4th floor American. The claims that the apartment is suitable for the elderly and infirmed, but it is NOT. The ad said that there would be a small discount for stays longer than 4 nights, but no discount was given. When we asked about it we were told that discounts are only on 7 nights or longer. We decided that a small discount wasn't worth agruing over. The ad also says that all utilities are included, but then at booking we were told that we would have to pay extra for heat. The next problem was with the deposit. Even though we followed the directions exactly we were told that the deposit was 41 euros short. The first explanation was that our bank charged a fee, but when we produced evidence that we paid the fee separately the explanation was that our bank used a "middle-man" bank that charged a fee. When we produced documentation proving that the funds went directly into Masetti's account the explanation became that a euro in America isn't the same value as a euro in Italy. We said that one euro is one euro no matter where you are, but he insisted. We also told him that we had rented an apartment in Rome, which is also in Italy, and there was no problem. The euro in Rome had the same value as the euro in America, but he wouldn't budge. So, we either had to eat the 41 euros or the entire deposit and go elsewhere. Lucca is such a charming place that even this man's deceitfulness didn't spoil our trip.....but we will never rent from him again. We read reviews from people who had dealt with this man and they were mixed. If you are one of the renters who had no bad experience with him consider yourself lucky. I just want people to know that you rent from this man at some risk.

Edited: 5:32 pm, April 22, 2011
88 replies to this topic
1. Re: Lucca apartment review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, June 04, 2011

2. Re: Lucca apartment review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, June 04, 2011

Riel
3. Re: Lucca apartment review

We have just returned from the vicinity of Lucca where we stayed in a villa by Luciano Sidrak Masetti. Almost all prior information on the Internet and the additional information via email, was inaccurate or incomplete. We also had to pay more than the price indicated on the website. Do not rely blindly on the details of Luciano Sidrak Masetti!

Houston, TX
4. Re: Lucca apartment review

I also tried to leave a review on the VRBO website about our stay, but when they contacted him with my review he told them that I must have his apartment confused with someone else's. In order to confirm that we actually stayed in his apartment I had to submit the rental agreement, emails, and photos inside the apartment. This man does not use a rental agreement, so the only thing I had was emails, which could not be used as confirmation that we had stayed in his apartment. He has been at this for a while, so he knows how to keep bad reviews off the rental site.

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 12
5. Re: Lucca apartment review

Try posting on Slow Travel. They have a lot of rental reviews. www.slowtrav.com

TAB

Surrey, United...
reviews: 4
6. Re: Lucca apartment review

Hi,

I'm not defending Sidrak Masetti in any shape or form, but have just returned from staying in one of his apartments in Lucca centre, this was the second year that we have rented through him. Everything was as stated on the website and the only extra we had to pay was 13 euros that was taken out of the deposit by Paypal for their services. We will be happy to rent from him again next year. I don't know if we have just been extremely lucky or others have been very unfortunate.

mesh

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
7. Re: Lucca apartment review

I've had an iffy experience with him too.

Houston, TX
8. Re: Lucca apartment review

Hi Mesh,

I only want people to post their honest experiences with him and then let the buyer beware, lol. I had read mixed reviews about this man, but after hearing your experience I decided to go ahead and give it a shot. Unfortunately, we did not have the same good experience that you had. We met a woman from Chicago who owns an apartment there and should we ever return (which we plan to!) we will contact her. I hope you continue to have good luck with Sidrak, but for me, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

Surrey, United...
reviews: 4
9. Re: Lucca apartment review

Hi Ab,

As I said I don't know if we have been extremely lucky with our choice of apartments from him. It's a shame that other people have had their holidays upset by him. We had a bad start to one of our stays in Lucca a few years back, the address that was given to us by the agent (not Massetti) was wrong and then they told us to sit and wait and they would come and take us to the apartment. Two and a half hours later they turned up and the first thing they said was " You pay now". Fortunately they are no longer in business.

mesh

Houston, TX
10. Re: Lucca apartment review

Hi Mesh,

I don't know how Sidrak decides who to take advantage of and who not to, but it is obvious that not everyone has a bad (or good) experience with him. As I said in my original review, even though we had the problem with him our experience in Lucca and the surrounding area was in no way diminished. We still enjoyed our trip and look forward to returning. Renting an apartment comes with some risk, no matter. When we were shown into our apartment in Rome the person who let us in was showing us how to use the tv, which didn't work. He said that he would have a repair person sent over, but that never happened. We were not there to watch tv anyway, so we didn't care. At least we were not charged extra upon arrival, nor did we have to pay extra for utilities. People who check these reviews will just have to decide if they want to chance being one of the people who has a bad experience with Sidrak. I rolled the dice once and lost. I hate losing. :-)

Abby

Reply to: Lucca apartment review
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lucca