We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Livorno to Florence

Which Livorno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Altoona...
Livorno to Florence

We want to travel from the Livorno cruise port to Florence - 4 adults. What is the best way to do this? Bus and train? Which ones? Approx cost?

30 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Livorno to Florence

There is no bus, but there are fairly frequent trains. See www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
2. Re: Livorno to Florence

You can take a city bus (the no. 1) from the port to Livorno Centrale (the train station).

Round-trip from Livorno to Florence is, at this writing, 18 euro. We say "at this writing" because last year at this time it was 13 euro and some small change; Trenitalia seems to enjoy hiking their prices. We have yet to see any hike in their services.

Alternatively, you could take a taxi which, split by four, wouldn't be that expensive. And it would save you the sardine-like conditions that prevail on the no. 1 of cruise ship folk returning to their respective boats.

(Remember to stamp both your bus and train tickets at the machines provided inside the bus and along the tracks.)

Edited: 2:30 am, February 20, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 1
3. Re: Livorno to Florence

We took a taxi from the port to Florence and then to Pisa. The taxi needs 8 people total (it was very comfortable). Other cruise passengers went with us to make up the 8. The cost was 40 euros each to be paid after the trip. The individual drivers (only 2 are allowed at the dock at one time) are right there upon leaving the ship. There is a short walk (just right outside the gate) to where the taxis are parked. You will see there is a bunch of taxis waiting. Our driver, named Andrea , spoke english and took us to Florence and waited there for us. Our group determined how long we were going to stay in Florence. He then drove us to Pisa where we stayed about 90 minutes. Then because we had about about 30 minutes left before we had to be back on the ship he drove us around Livorno. We were back on the ship in plenty of time. Andrea was willing to do anything the group wanted so if you wanted to spent less time in a place or get back earlier to the ship, he would do so. I highly recommend these taxis..ask for Andrea (nice looking Italian)

Ottawa, Canada
4. Re: Livorno to Florence

thank you for the info. I hope it will be the same price in August.

Saginaw, Michigan...
5. Re: Livorno to Florence

also, thanks

6. Re: Livorno to Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, June 27, 2013

Detroit
reviews: 11
7. Re: Livorno to Florence

Laura L, how much time did you get to spend in Florence? I have been researching tours but I would much rather just explore on my own. But with the price of the transfers into the cities it seems that you might as well book a tour. BUT your post has made me think twice. Also did this taxi wait for all 8 people, who determined staying time in the locations??

San Francisco...
8. Re: Livorno to Florence

We are 6 of us arriving Livorno on Dec. from a cruise ship, we want to go to Florence and Pisa. Are there many mini van waiting outside that we can hire ? How much would it cost? Can we bargain ?

Ottawa, Canada
9. Re: Livorno to Florence

We just recently traveled from Livirno port to Florence and Pisa. I think the best way is to book a transfer for the day. You can find 4 more people from your cruise and share a price for the transfer. Just look at Roll Call for your cruise at cruisecritic. We paid 40 euro per person for the whole day. Train will be just a bit cheaper but you will lose a lot of time traveling from the port to a train station in Livorno. For contact information to book a transfer you can look here: http://www.livornotoflorence.com/home-page/

Nicola provided excellent service! I am so glad that we used his service, not a train.

Los Cristianos...
10. Re: Livorno to Florence

Hi I am doing pretty much a similar cruise arriving in mid June to Livorno. Is it feasible to do go to both Pisa and Florence on the same day. Ideally we would like to disembark at 9.00 am and hear that you need a taxi to the train station and that this is not easy and time consuming. Has anyone actually done this as our ship departs at 19.00 and wanted to be sure that we are back in Livorno train station and if there is taxis or other forms of transport to get back to the cruise port thanks

Reply to: Livorno to Florence
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted