We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel south from Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bethlehem,Pa
Travel south from Florence

We will be in Florence in early December and are considering three one-day trips to the following: Arezzo, Cortona, Volterra and San Gimignano. We must eliminate one. Any suggestions. Thank you for your help.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
1. Re: Travel south from Florence

San Gim is only worth visiting (as you are doing) in the off-season when it is not over-run with bus tour day-trippers. However you can see it all in a couple of hours. Combine Volterra and San Gim in the same day. Volterra is FAR more interesting.

Edited: 4:41 pm, November 03, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 48
2. Re: Travel south from Florence

and be sure to give time to the fabulous Etruscan museum in Volterra. We got trapped in it one summer during a huge thunderstorm for several hours and so looked at everything -- amazing. what we know of the Etruscans comes largely from their funery boxes with their tableaux of life in their cultures.

If you haven't been to Siena, I would do a full day trip by bus from Florence and skip Cortona and Arrezo.

South Australia
reviews: 11
3. Re: Travel south from Florence

Utilising public transport.

Buses Florence 131/R to Siena, Siena 130 to Colle Val D Elsa and San Gimignano www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf

Bus 770 Colle Val D Elsa to Volterra www.cpt.pisa.it/orari/extra.htm

Trains Florence to Arezzo www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for train times

Bus Arezzo to Cortona and Camucia sitabus.it/wp-content/…Cortona-Arezzo.pdf

Trenitalia train Camucia to Florence

www.discovertuscany.com

Edited: 5:50 pm, November 03, 2013
Bethlehem,Pa
4. Re: Travel south from Florence

Datthecoast: Thank you for the Volterra suggestion. I read it was "untouristed" and a good place to stop. It is now a definite.

Janettravels44: Thank you for confirming the Volterra option. Since we are going to Siena for the day, do you suggest Cortona or Arezzo?

Nuriooopta: You went far beyond my expectations. A sincere thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
5. Re: Travel south from Florence

Arezzo is easy to get to from Florence..... about 40 minutes by train from SMN.

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
6. Re: Travel south from Florence

I would have thought you should be able to combine Arezzo / Cortona even if you are taking public transport as they are fairly close to each other and both worth a visit. San Gimignano too is a well worth a detour in early December, and it's great that you are definitely including Siena. Bear in mind weather could be dire (cold, wet) so pack accordingly.

Bethlehem,Pa
7. Re: Travel south from Florence

Datthecoast and Lastraniera,

Here is our tentative schedule:

San Gim and Volterra (one day)

Arezzo and Cortona (one day- does that do justice to both?)

We have plenty of extra days to do half- day trips from Florence. We really like to be thorough as we may not return. Your assistance has been very helpful and I appreciate your extending yourselves as I know you have other things to do.

8. Re: Travel south from Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 06, 2014