We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer! Help me out! Please and Thank You!

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
1st timer! Help me out! Please and Thank You!

Hello, first trip to Italy! I will be spending two nights in Florence city center (after 2 nights in Venice) and then head to 3 nights in rural tuscany area (Greve) While in the city I could use some advice on where to stay (two of us, young and would like to be in the action to some point) Restaurants or places not to miss, schedule to loosely follow! Any and all advice is appreciated! (when we leave Greve we are headed to 3 nights in Rome- is case you have wonderful advice for that also!!)

THANK YOU!!

11 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
1. Re: 1st timer! Help me out! Please and Thank You!

Based on your posts, it sounds like you need a good guidebook.

A lot of people like Frommers or Lonely Planet.

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
2. Re: 1st timer! Help me out! Please and Thank You!

You are likely to get a better answer if you state what your nightly budget for a hotel (in Euros) is going to be and when you are going to be there. What about Florence made you decide to visit? What kind of interests do you have? You didn't give people much information you help you out.

For starters, take a look at the right hand side of this page at the FAQ's. Lots of information there. You can also use TripAdvisor to look at the attractions for Florence by typing Florence into the search function at the very top of page. This way you can decide what looks interesting to YOU. You can also type "first time" or "sights" into the search box right above your post and you will see lots of prior posts on the subject.

new jersey
3. Re: 1st timer! Help me out! Please and Thank You!

Thanks, 250-350 US$ per night. We have def been online reading last couple days, just also figured we would jump on here and hear about some favorites from travelers currently, thanks again

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
4. Re: 1st timer! Help me out! Please and Thank You!

Please post in euros - you can get the current exchange rate at: www.xe.com

You need to start thinking in euros anyway and it will be helpful to people here to know the budget in euros to better offer up some useful suggestions to you.

Florence, Italy
5. Re: 1st timer! Help me out! Please and Thank You!

By today's exchange rate, $250-350 = €190-265. There are more hotels in that range than you can shake a stick at! Why not check out your hotel booking site of choice (e.g. booking.com), plug in your dates, parameters and filters. See what comes up, take a look at what you like then come check out the forum for some feedback?

Keaau, Hawaii
reviews: 76
6. Re: 1st timer! Help me out! Please and Thank You!

200 Euros a night??? I wish I could afford to spend that kind of money for a place to sleep. I'm a lot older than 25, so I'd probably spend more time in the room than someone so young. I suggest that you pay less for a room and have more for food and entertainment.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
7. Re: 1st timer! Help me out! Please and Thank You!

Maybe they can afford both that amount for the room and already have what they want for their other expenses - everyone has a different budget.

I would also suggest www.venere.com - where you can also sort by budget, etc - the reviews at Venere are confirmed to have been submitted by people who stayed at the property; TA doesn't confirm their reviews as such.

I liked the hotel I stayed at - it was a tad quirky and I had a wonderful large room and amazing bathroom - loved it: http://www.ilguelfobianco.it/rooms.htm

It is in a good location - five minute walk to Duomo -

I was there in off season so paid off season rates - I have no idea what high season rates will be.

new jersey
8. Re: 1st timer! Help me out! Please and Thank You!

Thank you!!

new jersey
9. Re: 1st timer! Help me out! Please and Thank You!

I am not 25, but thanks!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 4
10. Re: 1st timer! Help me out! Please and Thank You!

You can use hotel sites like Booking.com, Hotels.com, Venere, etc. and sort them by review score, then narrow them down by reading recent reviews and checking availability. For Rome, the area near Piazza Navona and Pantheon is crawling with wonderful streets full of people, shops, wine bars, etc. and it's also close enough to all the major sights. Florence is a lot smaller, so if you're in the city center, you're in the city center. Have fun!

Reply to: 1st timer! Help me out! Please and Thank You!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted