We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covering Up in Churches

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Wales
reviews: 40
Covering Up in Churches

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are visiting Florence and surrounding areas of Tuscany next week.

I have read in several places that you have to "cover up" when entering churches.

Can someone please confirm what is appropriate to wear for both male and female as we don't want to get turned away.

Due to the weather we will probably both be wearing shorts and t-shirts. However, my girlfriend might wear vests on some days.

Do her shoulders just need to be covered or does she/we have to cover our legs as well?

Thanks in advance

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
1. Re: Covering Up in Churches

Yes, her shoulders need to be covered and both of your legs down to the knee. I usually carry a sarong or scarf in my bag to cover up with in hot weather.

Edited: 1:34 pm, August 19, 2013
North Wales
reviews: 40
2. Re: Covering Up in Churches

Thanks for the quick reply,

That should be fine then, we both have long enough shorts and my girlfriend has a light scarf.

San Francisco...
reviews: 16
3. Re: Covering Up in Churches

I carried a lightweight shawl and it was also hot during our stay - wore shorts and sleeveless blouses. My shoulders were always covered so I used it to drape as a sarong to cover my knees.

Some of the churches offered some type of paper drape - don't think it's available at all places. They did look pretty cool (to me).

Enjoy!

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 13
4. Re: Covering Up in Churches

<<Yes, her shoulders need to be covered and both of your legs down to the knee>>

Both men and women need their shoulders covered. No tank tops/ sleeveless shirts for either.

TAB

Long Beach,CA
reviews: 31
5. Re: Covering Up in Churches

Better to be prepared with scarf, etc... since I noticed most churches we visited offered paper drapes but there was a line for people needing those. We saw that the person who takes tickets or stands at entry seems to screen the people who come in. I would much rather come prepared and be able to see all the beauty in the churches than to stand in another line.

6. Re: Covering Up in Churches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 21, 2014