We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

florence or venice?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pembroke, United...
reviews: 10
florence or venice?

my wife and i are passing through Italy as part of our honeymoon next month.

after spending a few days in rome we are trying to decide whether to visit venice or florence for a few days [obviously both would be ideal but budget and time restricts us from doing this].

we are in our mid 30s and are very much interested in sight seeing, good food and wine, romantic resturaunts and scenic walks.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Mark

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: florence or venice?

Go to Venice. Florence has magnificent art museums, but is not all that special as a city. Venice is totally unique: there is nowhere else like it in the world.

Ocean City, MD
reviews: 7
2. Re: florence or venice?

Will you be departing from Rome or Venice? The fast train between the 2 is almost 4 hrs. The fast train between Rome and Florence is 1.5 hrs.

www.trenitalia.com and www.italotreno.it

Milan, Italy
reviews: 8
3. Re: florence or venice?

Tough choice!

Venice is magical, especially if you go out of the beaten track (Staion-Rialto-San Marco path). A couple of days are Ok to have a (fairly) good look at it. On the bad side, it's a very expensive town (hotels, food, museums, even ferry boats!). of course, can't think of any better place for a honey moon.

Said so, also Tuscany is fantastic, and Florence is one of my favourite Italian cities (Igrew up in Rome and now live in Milan). You can easily spend a couple of days there, 1 in Florence and one as a day trip to Siena. You will also save travel time: Florence is 1,5 hours from Rome, Venice 4,5 hours (High Speed Train "frecciarossa")

What about renting a car in Rome (good deal @ http://www.rentalcars.com) and spending a couple of days in the Tuscany country side? If you like good food, wine and walking, it could be the best place for you. You may visit cities such as Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino, Siena, Monteriggioni and, why not, get to Florence for an evening walk in piazza della signoria and ponte vecchio.

If you would like to read about travel itineraries and travel tips in Tuscany and Venice you may have a look at my travelblog www.delightfullyitaly.com

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 42
4. Re: florence or venice?

As said Venice is quite unique, although lorence is certainly interesting, but I would say if you do decide on Venice, do not delay booking a Hotel, well reviewed places book Months ahead, and also with a little research it does not need to be very expensive,

Pembroke, United...
reviews: 10
5. Re: florence or venice?

thanks so much for all your help!

some excellent suggestions here.....

kindest regards!

Rome, Italy
reviews: 18
6. Re: florence or venice?

Hello! I honestly think you can do both. Venice is magical, completely unique and is just right for a honeymoon trip. But if you are going by train from Rome, you will probably be travelling through Florence anyway. Train tickets are not so expensive, but hotels in Venice are, so you can probably "pay" for your Florence ticket by staying in some Florence hotels (cheaper) rather than in Venice the whole time. And I honestly think that two nights in Venice is enough to really feel the place and see all the main attractions. I think you can do both - in fact, Florence is different to both Rome and Venice, so it will be like getting three holidays for the price of one or two!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 49
7. Re: florence or venice?

For a honeymoon, my vote would be for Venice.

Beirut, Lebanon
reviews: 9
8. Re: florence or venice?

I think you can do both . venice is gorgeous but staying for a long time there would be for seeing the same scene every moment . you shall not miss Florence and the surroundings (a day trip to Sienna shall be on your list . the place is more than gorgeous)

San Marcos...
reviews: 3
9. Re: florence or venice?

Stay in Venice unless you are art lovers. There are miles of small roads to walk, vaporettoes, and the other islands. It's easy to spend four or 5 days. We are going for our fourth trip and will stay a week.

Gaithersburg...
reviews: 9
10. Re: florence or venice?

I just got back from Italy and stayed in all three cities. To be honest, I'd say ditch Rome and do Florence and Venice. Rome feels like any big city, except that it's built up around ancient ruins. We actually spent most of the Rome portion of our trip outside of Rome, or in the Vatican. I'm glad we went to Rome, but if given the chance I would go back to Florence or Venice in a heartbeat. They have a completely different feel than Rome, and there's a lot to see and do in both. My boyfriend and I spent hours just wandering around the two cities, and would have extended our stay in each if we could have.

Just something to think about.