We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cameras in major sights

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gibraltar
reviews: 8
Cameras in major sights

Hi

I'm off to Florence in about a month's time (SO excited!) and I've been reading up on camera policies in the major attractions. I'm a bit confused! Most places don't allow use of what they call professional equipment such as tripods etc, but would an SLR camera count as professional equipment? Do they only allow small compact cameras?

Thanks TA! :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Cameras in major sights

An SLR camera will be fine anywhere that photography is allowed.

Florence
reviews: 36
2. Re: Cameras in major sights

Cameras are simply not allowed - with or without flash, with or without tripods - in virtually all of the major museums in Florence - or in the most important of the art-filled churches.

There are those who try to ignore the rules and use cameras - especially in the Accademia. This results in guards shouting at them.

So the rest of us have to put up with flashes popping and guards shouting - which is not conducive to appreciating art.

Shrewsbury, United...
reviews: 74
3. Re: Cameras in major sights

I have just got back from Florence, other than flash and tripod, cameras, Ipads, phones were allowed everywhere other than the Uffizi and Accademia and thinking about it the Pitti Palace Everyone was taking photos I have some great shots. The only annoying thing is the way some people ignore the no flash rule but even those were just given a sharp reminder. I've also got some lovely shots of the reflections of the buildings in the Arno near the Ponte Vecchio and also from the Piazzale Michelangelo at sunset. Have a great time it was our first visit and we loved it.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
4. Re: Cameras in major sights

There are more places than that that don't allow photography to add to your list I can immediately think of Santa Croce, the Bargello and Palazzo Vecchio.

Florence
5. Re: Cameras in major sights

Abigail,

You are simply wrong.

All of the national museums: The Uffizi, all of the museums in the Pitti Palace - except, of course, for the Boboli Gardens - the Bargello, the Accademia, Archeologico, etc., bar all photographs. So do at least some of the museums belonging to the city, such as the Palazzo Vecchio, Santa Maria Novella, Santa Croce, La Specola, etc.

If you chose to ignore the rule, and you got away with it, shame on you.

Please do not encourage others to do likewise.

Edited: 11:27 am, May 13, 2013
Gibraltar
reviews: 8
6. Re: Cameras in major sights

Thanks everyone! I had a similar experience in Paris where there were loads of people taking flash photos of the Mona Lisa when they weren't supposed to - it really infuriated me so believe me I have no intention of breaking the rules! My main concern was being turned away in the queue just for having my camera with me.

I'm so excited! Thanks for the advice guys :)

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Cameras in major sights

UncleT, I wonder if that lady was actually confirming what you'd posted, based on her recent experiences? Perhaps, if expanded slightly, the message might be read along these lines:

"I have just got back from Florence. Other than (with) flash and tripod... cameras, Ipads, phones were allowed everywhere - other than (at) the Uffizi and Accademia and, thinking about it, (in) the Pitti Palace.

(And in the places where they were allowed...) Everyone was taking photos, I have some great shots. The only annoying thing is the way some people ignore the no flash rule, but even those were just given a sharp reminder."

Peter

Florence
8. Re: Cameras in major sights

A Brit,

I am sorry, but I simply do not understand what you are saying.

My message is pretty clear. Photography - whether with any traditional camera or with cell phones, i-paid type "tablets", etc., is prohibited in the vast majority, if not all, museums in Florence.

Obviously, enforcement is sketchy. The question was not: "If I take a picture in a museum in Florence, will I be thrown out into the street." The question was about the rules.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 48
9. Re: Cameras in major sights

most of these places allowed photos only a few years ago. I suppose that the idiots who don't know how to turn off the flash on their cameras have ruined it for the rest of us.

but then when I first saw David, he wasn't surrounded by a tacky plastic barrier either -- and then someone went after him with a hammer and so now he is -- same with the Pieta which can hardly be seen it is so well shielded. (at the Vatican, of course)

Edited: 2:19 pm, May 13, 2013
Florence
10. Re: Cameras in major sights

Janet:

I do not know what you mean by "a few years ago". To tell the truth, I haven't set foot in the Accademia in quite a few years, and I know photography was forbidden then, and there was constant shouting to that effect from guards, who were largely ignored.

Of course it is a nit that I am picking, but "the Vatican" is a palace. The last time I looked, Michelangelo's first "Pieta" was ensconced in the church of St. Peter's.