We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car question.

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 11
Rental Car question.

I plan to rent a car to drive from Florence to explore Tuscan towns. I've made a reservation with an international rental car company at the Florence airport to pick up there since I've read that it would be easier not to pick up a car in the city due to ZTL rules and possibly confusing roads in the city. The car rental at the airport will be about 95 Euro per day including tax and fee. I have also read in this forum that there are a lot of local rental car companies in the city that could provide you with good direction how to drive out of the city when pick up the car locally. I'm just wondering if renting the car with local companies would be cheaper given they can provide good directions to drive out of Florence city (avoid ZTL zones and all). If so, that would be helping me avoiding the problem of getting a cab ride from my hotel to the airport to pickup the car. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

9 replies to this topic
Florence
reviews: 36
1. Re: Rental Car question.

There are small, local rental car companies in Florence (as elsewhere). I have never, ever heard of anybody having a good experience with one.

All of the major international car rental companies have office in Florence - Hertz, Avis, Alamo, Budget, Nationall, Sixt, and Europcar. I would definitely do business with any of those - except National, which has a bad record.

I frequently rent through an agency - AutoEurope - which generally gets good prices - especially for longer-term rentals - through the major rental companies. I frequently wind up doing business with Europcar through AutoEurope. You might also check AutoEurope's websites in the UK and Italy. I also check the competition - including whatever car rental company is hooked up to whatever airline I am flying.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
2. Re: Rental Car question.

95 Euros sound expensive unless you are only getting the car for a day or two, or you have a very big car.

Picking up a car at Florence proper and avoiding ZTL isn't difficult. The ZTL is easily transgressed on the return trip though so you could consider picking up at Florence central and returning at the airport.

Autoeurope (not Europa with an "a" at the end) is very reputable as mentioned above.

Washington DC...
3. Re: Rental Car question.

Thank you very much for the info.

Florence
4. Re: Rental Car question.

Sammyfloyd,

Of course I don't know how recently you have driven from the Borg'Ognisanti or the Via Finiguerra, where all of the major car rental companies have their main Florence office. Things have gotten more complicated in the last year or so because of the Tramvia and new enforcement cameras for bus lanes.

I do not think it is a great thing to tell people that driving a car out of that little area without running afoul of either the ZTL or the bus lane rules "is not difficult". It is difficult - especially if you've never driven in or around Florence before.

Florence
5. Re: Rental Car question.

I generally pay somewhere around 50 euros per day - or a bit more - when I'm renting for about a week. That does not include the 50 euro tax I would have to pay if I picked up the car at the airport. I general do not pay the extra amounts the rental car companies want for extra "collision" insurance. I rely on my platinum master card.

Washington DC...
6. Re: Rental Car question.

FYI, my 95 Euro per day includes tax, fees and some insurance. I only rent for two days just to get out of Florence to explore Tuscany. I read from here that if you got caught by the cameras for violating ZTL rules, you will be sent the ticket. If that person live outside italy and not from italy, why would he/she care to pay the ticket anyway? (not that I suggest that people shouldn't pay the fine, but just out of curiosity)

San Diego...
reviews: 5
7. Re: Rental Car question.

willoftheworld...There are reports that the violations can be turned over to a collecting agency which can cause a person many other problems.

Florence
8. Re: Rental Car question.

willoftheworld

Even worse than fatjack's warning:

If a camera records your car violating the ZTL rules, or the bus lane rules, or the highway speed limit, etc., the license plate number will be sent to the car rental company, which is required to provide the authorities with your name, address, etc.

The car rental company is authorized to charge your credit card for the "service" of providing the authorities with that information. Each violation means an additional "service" charge. Each "service" charge will cost you more than U.S.$50 - plus whatever your credit card charges you for a billing in euros. You will agree to such charges when you sign the rental agreement, and there is no recourse.

Edited: 10:49 am, May 06, 2013
Washington DC...
9. Re: Rental Car question.

Thank you everyone for the great info.

Reply to: Rental Car question.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted