We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting money

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 6
Getting money

We will be coming from Canada, we have a debit card with chip technology and a 4 digit pin. Will this work to withdraw Euros from ATM machines, and are these readily available.

Thanks in advance for responses .

New York City, New...
reviews: 4
21. Re: Getting money

It is well worth noting that there is no difference between ATM skimming in Florence (or elsewhere) and in the US. In fact, there were huge arrests earlier this year involving skimming in NYC, Chicago and Milwaukee, and everyone involved acknowledges these were a drop in the bucket. If you are willing to use ATMs in Milwaukee, there is no reason to schlep a wad a cash across the Atlantic. As with everything else, that doesn't mean throwing caution to the wind.

Boston...
reviews: 33
22. Re: Getting money

Whenever I use an ATM, and I use them frequently, I always cover the keyboard with my free hand while I enter my PIN. Most scams involve two parts...one is a skin that is not noticable that records information from the mag strip as you put the card into the machine. If well done, this is virtually impossible to detect. The other part is a tiny camera, generally from above to record you entering your PIN. By covering the keyboard, they cannot get the PIN that they will need.

New York City, New...
reviews: 4
23. Re: Getting money

exactly. In that case I made reference to above, the government seized stored data take from 6100 cards, hundreds of ours of video tape, blank cards onto which data was transferred, the skimmer devices and pinhole cameras. They have to marry up the data from the skimmer with the pin from the video in order to score. They managed to succeed to the tune of over $3million-this is not being done by a bunch of kids; they are real gangsters. And one of the ringleaders was arrested in Skokie, Illinois-not exactly the sort of place you'd call a high crime area.

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 3
24. Re: Getting money

Where in the US can I buy a cell phone that will readily work when I get off the plane in Italy? My new Samsung Galaxy (not-so-smart, I guess) phone will not work there. I will be there for four weeks so the cheaper the better.

Florence
reviews: 36
25. Re: Getting money

Dreamchaser314

With all due respect, why did you post this at the end of a long thread about ATMs?

UK
26. Re: Getting money

Dreamchaser314 - any triband or quadband phone should work in Italy - I always take an unlocked phone with a prepaid, not contract, SIM for texts and calls only, never data, no data keeps the bills down - so you should be able to get a phone anywhere.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 50
27. Re: Getting money

The problem often seems to be getting an unlocked phone in the US. Their system seems to work differently.

28. Re: Getting money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 14, 2014