We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Florence, vineyard stop?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, New York
reviews: 5
Rome to Florence, vineyard stop?

Good evening, everyone! My boyfriend and I will be traveling via train from Rome to Florence this May. What are possible vineyard stops halfway? I'd love to use this "travel day" to visit the Tuscan wine country. We'll have three days in Florence but they are already booked ... any suggestions you may have for a good stop accessible by train are much appreciated. Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
1. Re: Rome to Florence, vineyard stop?

The fast trains from Rome to Florence do not stop anywhere along the way. The slower trains have some stops but, by their nature, vineyards are out in the country and difficult to reach.

You might try contacting the Florence Tourist Office to see if there is a tour of the Chianti area on the afternoon of your arrival. http://www.firenzeturismo.it/en/

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
2. Re: Rome to Florence, vineyard stop?

My guess is it would be rare for any tours to depart from Florence in the afternoon. These wine tours often take the whole day so most, if not all of them, depart in the morning. If you want to catch a tour, you should take one of the first trains from Rome to Florence so you can join.

Toronto, Canada
3. Re: Rome to Florence, vineyard stop?

I suggest you a stop in Orvieto, this lovely medieval town is located one hour by train from Rome. Nearby the train station there are a couple of local winery that offer wine tasting. The local white wine of Orvieto is very popular, but also the local red wine are good.

I you want to stop for longer the train station "Orvieto Scalo" is also connected with the historical centre by cable railway. Visit the famous duomo and have a wine tasting in one the local wineries. There are many in the centre.

4. Re: Rome to Florence, vineyard stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 28, 2014