We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Guides/Companies

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Tour Guides/Companies

Hi,

How do I know if the company I'm considering for a private walking tour of Florence has licensed guides? And does it matter if they aren't licensed?

Thanks!

Jennifer

P.S. I also posted this in the Rome forum since it tends to see a little more action. :)

Edited: 10:40 pm, March 05, 2013
Castellina in...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Tour Guides/Companies

They have to be licensed to enter museums as your guide. So if there is a museum, or similar, on your tour, then the guide is licensed.

California
2. Re: Tour Guides/Companies

They explained in an e-mail that the tickets to the Accademia and Uffizi galleries are not included in the tour price but that they will reserve them ahead of time to avoid waiting in line. Hopefully that means they are licensed!

Florence, Toscana...
3. Re: Tour Guides/Companies

@tuscan - They have to be licensed to enter museum, gallery etc, but I'm pretty sure they also have to be licensed just to give a walking tour round the city itself.

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 16
4. Re: Tour Guides/Companies

I did not do a tour with the person but next time I am in Florence I would like to. This guide participates in this forum. Check out his web site. tripadvisor.com/members-forums/ArsOpulenta

http://ars-opulenta.com/

Edited: 9:54 am, March 06, 2013
California
5. Re: Tour Guides/Companies

Hi Nubby,

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually looked into booking that guide after reading all the wonderful reviews on the forum. Unfortuneately, since we will only be in Florence for the day (coming from Rome) and are looking for a 6 to 7 hour tour we can't afford him. :( Maybe our next visit when we have time for a longer stay.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Castellina in...
6. Re: Tour Guides/Companies

Cook_Eat_Italian Yes, you're right but unlicensed walking guides are less afraid of being caught out on the street or in the Mercato Centrale than inside a museum, especially one that requires payment and where the ticket staff might have questions.

Castellina in...
7. Re: Tour Guides/Companies

"Hopefully that means they are licensed!" I doubt it. Ask them for the license details of their guides.

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 16
8. Re: Tour Guides/Companies

Why don't you do a half day tour and a half day to have a bite to eat and window shop or explore. I think you would enjoy some time on your own in Florence.

California
9. Re: Tour Guides/Companies

Actually we're planning to stay in Florence after the tour is over to do some shopping and have dinner (before heading back to Rome). :)

I did just notice that on the bottom of the web page it has each of their names, the letters "P.I." and an eleven digit number. Does this mean they are licensed?

Thanks!

Jennifer

California
10. Re: Tour Guides/Companies

Does anyone know if the P.I. eleven digit number I found on the bottom of their web page means they are licensed guides?