We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence Custom Tours

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Florence Custom Tours

Hi,

My mom and I are thinking about taking a day trip to Florence from Rome (by train) in mid May. I know the sight seeing can be done on our own but since our time will be limited we are looking for a full day tour (around 6 or 7 hours). We feel this would be the best way to get the most from the short experience.

I found Florence Custom Tours on trip advisor which has good reviews. Has anyone on the forum had any recent experience using them (for any tour not necessarily the one we are looking at taking)?

Thanks!

Jennifer

P.S. We are also considering Walks of Italy.

Virginia
reviews: 186
1. Re: Florence Custom Tours

It's up to you - but the florence historic center is very small and walk-able and easy to do on your own. If you don't have time to do a small amount of research before hand, there are free audio tours you can download to smartphones to tell you what you are looking at - as long as you do the research of what to go see and can read a map.

Here is a walking route I recently suggested on another thread to someone on a day-trip to Florence. Entirely doable on your own without shelling out hundreds of euros for someone to show you.

tripadvisor.com/…47603751

If you get on a train early morning from Rome, you'll have more than 6 hours in Florence. Those trains leave frequently. No reason why you can't arrive in Florence by 9am and be able to head back at 9pm if you wanted!

winterparkcity
reviews: 30
2. Re: Florence Custom Tours

you might also try viator.com - this is a recommendation from the american express platinum concierge folks...my family is about to use them in florence and rome. Best to call as there are many similar options that are a bit confusing on the website.

California
3. Re: Florence Custom Tours

VTJedi -

We are pretty set on doing a comprehensive day tour. We just feel we'll get more out of the city than doing it all on our own especially with so little time in Florence.

Floridaskiers -

Thanks for the tip! But I found out from the Rome forums that Viator is a tour re-seller which means you end up paying more for the tour than you would have if you had booked it on your own. Also unless you do some research you never know what company will be handling a specific tour and therefore have no idea if it's any good.

Savannah, GA
reviews: 15
4. Re: Florence Custom Tours

I would not THINK of undertaking this adventure without the expertise and enthusiasm of Eugene Martinez. www.ars-opulenta.com. His touching affection for Florence, his enclopaedic knowledge of the city and its environs, and his remarkable ability to design a tour that specifically meets your interest and requirements: all the ingredients of a great day in Florence. He also knows (and is welcomed) in a variety of great restaurants!

California
5. Re: Florence Custom Tours

Savannah . . .

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually looked into booking that guide after reading all the wonderful reviews on the forum. Unfortunately, since we will only be in Florence for the day (coming from Rome) and are looking for a 6 to 7 hour tour we can't afford him. :( Maybe our next visit when we have time for a longer stay.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
6. Re: Florence Custom Tours

We spent four very full days in Florence and enjoyed it all. It's making my brain hurt thinking about doing it in 6 hours. We spent four just in the Uffizi, and another full day just in the area around the Duomo

7. Re: Florence Custom Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 10, 2014