We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
accommodation

i am taking my mother for a birthday trip to Florence in March for a couple of days and can't decide between loggiato dei serviti, antica johlea and residenze via santo spirito 6. I am sure that any of them would be fine but would appreciate any advice to help me decide. I am looking for an attractive comfortable hotel not right in the centre. Thanks

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
1. Re: accommodation

These are all most lovely places, but we'd give the nod to Antica Johlea. That is, if you're ok with it probably being the most removed from the center while still being in the center.

Others on the Forum (let's call them the Pro-Oltrarno Party) will probably opt for Via Santo Spirito 6. Here's hoping they chime in, and you can weigh both sides.

Hope this (sort of) helps.

Bedford, United...
reviews: 37
2. Re: accommodation

"Antica Johlea"? Isn't she married to Brad Pitt? :)

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
3. Re: accommodation

Well I am definitely one of the Pro-Oltrarno Party, but I also have a very soft spot Piazza S. Annunziata, although that is the closest to the centre...

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
4. Re: accommodation

Yes, Pericoloso, she is -- or, at least, she? he? wants to be. Tabloids insist that their 6 rainbow children demand that they get married. If nuptials have occurred, we've missed it. Perhaps they'll do it live tomorrow night at the Academy Awards? That would sure spice things up on a very rote awards ceremony. Oh, for someone to turn down the award for Best Actor! We digress ...

Like Peggy, we, too, have a soft spot for that piazza. It gets a bit dicey at night, but not in a scary way ... in a homeless way. And the Loggiato dei Serviti is a lovely, only-in-Florence kind of place.

Our advice? Obviously, it's mixed. We're still running with the North-of-the-Oltrarno Party. Cards are on the table.

Please let the Forum what you decide.

Edited: 3:21 pm, February 23, 2013
London, United...
5. Re: accommodation

Thanks Oltrano perhaps sounds a more interesting area with lots of restaurants but both the other hotels seem to have more character. At the same time last year we stayed at the pensione accademia in venice which she really liked so the hotel this year has a lot to live up to!

London, United...
6. Re: accommodation

Thanks for your help-I left it a couple of days and both the serviti and johlea are full so it looks like via santo spirito, although I've just realised there is no breakfast at the hotel

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
7. Re: accommodation

Do breakfast the way the Florentines do, coffee and a pastry in a cafe. You are bound to find one very close by.

London, United...
8. Re: accommodation

I just wondered if anyone had stayed at or knew the residenze d'epoca at via san spirito 6. It's got good reviews on tripadvisor but is quite low in the rankings and most reviews are the sole reviews of the reviewer which I understand could be a bit suspicious.

Thanks

uk
reviews: 6
9. Re: accommodation

Hello doris94, I don't know if you're still looking.

I'm another in the Pro-Oltrarno Party and have just come across your post, which is a bit of a coincidence as, beforehand, I had been looking at the Residenza d'Epoca via Santo Spirito myself. As far as I can see, it seems to be half way between a hotel and a small apartment, with basic cooking facilities and vouchers for breakfast which would suit me down to the ground, especially if they could be used at the nearby Caffe Santo Spirito, it might not suit everyone, though. I think the rooms are only serviced every four days and the hours in which you can check in appear to be limited unless you pay extra.

I stayed in the Pensione Accademia in Venice many years ago and I loved it. I had a very basic twin room which was fine by me, what I liked was the atmosphere of an old pensione. What was it about it that your mother liked so much? If you let us know, maybe someone can help.

London, United...
10. Re: accommodation

Thanks. Apart from the position the hotel and the rooms were very comfortable.