We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does it matter where you stay in Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bedford
reviews: 5
Does it matter where you stay in Florence

I will be headed to Florence in oct and have been looking at places to stay. Does it matter where you stay. What I mean is if I compare to Rome..from one set of sights Ancient Rome to Vatican City I hear it is an hour walk..

BUT is Florence much smaller that it really doesn't matter.

We will be doing a few day trips out of Florence anyway.

1.5 day major sights in Florence

1 Day to Sienna

1 Day Bike Ride in Chianti

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
1. Re: Does it matter where you stay in Florence

The centro storico of Florence is compact. If you're in good shape, you could walk from end to end in less than a 1/2 hour. It is not like glorious Rome, spread out ... we've never walked end-to-end in Rome's historic center. But we know it would take longer than walking across Florence's.

Many of us regular contributors to the Florence/Tuscany Forum have decided opinions on places to stay and neighborhoods to choose. Why don't you start looking, and come back with questions whereupon you'll get feedback from all?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
2. Re: Does it matter where you stay in Florence

Only in terms of how touristy and noisy an area is.

New York City, New...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Does it matter where you stay in Florence

Florence is small, as others have said, but if you are leaving Florence twice during your brief stay, and are planning to use bus to get out of town, I would be inclined to stay relatively closer to the train/bus station. That doesn't mean on TOP of it, but I'd tend to look on that side of the river and even on that side of the duomo.

philly
reviews: 3
4. Re: Does it matter where you stay in Florence

What Hotel would you suggest near the train station?

bedford
5. Re: Does it matter where you stay in Florence

Thanks guys.

I have been looking but then I was knocking some places off since they were across the river. Not that I have all my days planned out. But train or bus to sienna as an example.

So I was looking near the duomo. But then I also saw some I liked between the duomo and the gardening del palazzo ( google is showing it in Italian ) sorry

So it seems like 4 or 8 blocks away from the duomo is good. Right?

bedford
6. Re: Does it matter where you stay in Florence

Here is one I am looking at that is really close to the Duomo

http://www.vrbo.com/88148. Not sure if this would be too noisy. Great reviews. We will be there sat sunday monday and Tuesday

But ther are others too like in the Santa Lorenzo area http://www.vrbo.com/120738

We were looking at bb or hotels. But then found a few vrbo and the thought of a washing machine after being in Rome and cinque Terre sounded nice.

Seemed there are,plenty of options under 200 us a night

Florence, Italy
7. Re: Does it matter where you stay in Florence

If you're going to Siena (one “n"!), take the bus, not the train. The bus station is practically next to the train station. Take a look at the hotels in Piazza Santa Maria Novella, convenient to busses and trains!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
8. Re: Does it matter where you stay in Florence

Both are noisy areas, but if they get good reviews which don't mention noise then they are probably ok. The centre of Florence is very small, I prefer to stay on the other side of the river because it is less touristy and quieter, but I don't mind plenty of walking.

Mississauga, ON
reviews: 65
9. Re: Does it matter where you stay in Florence

Agree with peggypatch. When we return to Florence, would stay across the river. Quieter, more relaxed, much less touristy, etc. Easy walk to central Florence. Lots of great restaurants, cafes and bars.

We had an apartment in Chianti after our 6 days in (hot) Rome and Florence last late September and really appreciated having a washing machine!

Enjoy!

uk
reviews: 6
10. Re: Does it matter where you stay in Florence

I, too, agree with peggypatch and, if I were looking for an apartment, I would definitely choose the Oltrarno.

But, most of the hotels are north of the river and as I mostly travel alone and am happy with a small room with its own bathroom - as long as it's in a quiet are - I can usually find what i'm looking for at a more economical rate there.

If money were no object, I would stay south of the river every time.