We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence and Tuscany

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florida
reviews: 2
Florence and Tuscany

I have about 7 days to spend in this region. I hope to include a day trip to Cinque Terre, also visit the following Lucca, Sienna, San Gimgiano, Chianti and Montepulicano region as well as Florence. Any suggestions for Itinerary and should we stay in Florence, for a few evenings, then in southern tuscany for a few more. We will be doing this in September and plan on traveling to Florence via train from Parma, We are open to renting a car after visiting Florence. Our plan is to go to Sorrento after leaving this area.

Thanks for help.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
1. Re: Florence and Tuscany

It is quite a lot to fit in a week. Not sure you can do all that and give Florence the time it deserves. Can you prioritise at all?

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
2. Re: Florence and Tuscany

Yep...you are trying to do way too much.....

South Australia
reviews: 12
3. Re: Florence and Tuscany

Suggestion, base yourself in Florence.

Train Florence to Pisa in the morning and train Pisa to Lucca, returning by train from Lucca to Florence.

www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Check train times over the next seven days

Bus to either Siena or San Gimignano www.busfox.com.timetable

Take a guided tour of the Chianti country, hotel concierge can assist.

Uffizi tickets www.uffizi.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.discovertuscany.com

Tuscany region www.italia.it/en/home.html

Florence
reviews: 36
4. Re: Florence and Tuscany

I agree with the responses above.

If you stick to doing anything like what you suggest, you will spend all of your time racing from A to B, without ever seeing anything whatsoever in A or B.

If your purpose is just to check names off a list of "must sees", that's on thing. But if you have any desire to have a chance to appreciate anything, this simply isn't the way.

With only seven days, if it were me, I would spend one day going to and from Siena and seeing just a little bit of Siena. I would spend one day going to Arezzo and Montepulciano, or Montalcino, or Chiusi, I would spend the rest of the time scratching the surface of things to see in Florence.

Very often more is less.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
5. Re: Florence and Tuscany

The Cinque Terre is not in Tuscany, and, given your very limited time, it's really too far away to include in the same week.

Florence, Italy
6. Re: Florence and Tuscany

I second the idea of basing yourself in Florence. You can take a bus to Siena for the day, and a train to Pisa and Lucca for another day. 5 Terre is too far for a day trip. Arezzo is nowhere near Montepulciano, but if you have a car or a driver, you can easily do Montepulciano, Pienza and Montalcino in a day. Spend the rest of the time seeing what you can and planning your return!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
7. Re: Florence and Tuscany

Arezzo is not terribly far from Montepulciano, but if you're going by train, you have to change at either Chiusi or Sinalunga. Depending on how long you have to wait for the connecting train, the trip could take little over an hour or almost three hours. However, if you're trying to see both in one day as a day trip from Florence, by train, the trip between Florence and Montepulciano is much longer. Montepulciano station is also some distance from the town. A day trip to Arezzo from Florence is easy, but adding on Montepulciano would be problematic.

Edited: 2:58 am, February 04, 2013
Greve in Chianti...
reviews: 3
8. Re: Florence and Tuscany

Not very far as the crow flies. And as we all know here in Tuscany, the crow gets all the short cuts!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
9. Re: Florence and Tuscany

As I said, the train trip from Arezzo to Montepulciano takes little over an hour, and that's not riding on the crow's back.

florida
reviews: 2
10. Re: Florence and Tuscany

I think the best way is to spend 4 nights in Florence and Maybe 2 nights in either Pienza, Montepulciano or Montalcino, this way I can spend 1 1/2 days visiting in Florence, I really have my heart set on going to Cinque Terre for the day, I know that they offer day long trips that include hiking the towns as well as a boat and train trip between towns. Another day doing Pisa and Lucca, and they while in Pienza visit Sienna and San Gimigano from there or on my way to Pienza. What do you think???