We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 3
dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

We are looking for some interesting dining experiences where the locals eat. We are NOT interested in tourist places. Anybody have any "best kept secrets"??? We promise we won't tell :)

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
11. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

I think Pericoloso simply meant the non-Oltrarno side of the river when he posted his (to-our-minds) astute observation. Yes, Guscio's been around for ages (as have we, and we've been going there for equally so). Somehow, it just seems different when you delve deeper into the Otrarno. Almost like another world.

Florence, Italy
12. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

Via dell'Orto may be inside the walls but being 2 minutes from San Frediano doesn't exactly put it in the thick of things. In any case, its Michelin stars are well earned.

But please help me out here because I'm confused. A few weeks ago, Sant'Ambrogio was was a "humdrum 19th century neighborhood", "…a good long walk walk from just about everything you will want to see in Florence." So, Via dell'Orto is...?

Florence
reviews: 36
13. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

The issue stems from a statement that Guscio is "a bit of a trek from the centro storico".

Somebody here appears to be hoisted on a semantic petard.

To me, and apparently to quite a few websites I perused, the "centro storico" is identical to the area encompassed by the ancient walls started in the 13th century - which largely still exist south of the river but were all but totally obliterated on the north side.

As it happens, that is the definition used by UNESCO, which, in turn, is cited on the Comune's website, at:

unesco.comune.fi.it/images/centro_storico.jpg

According to that definition, Guscio is, in fact, inside the "centro storico", which makes it somewhat illogical, it would appear to me, to say it is "a bit of a trek from the centro storico".

As for my statement that the Sant'Ambrogio area is a "good long walk" from most touristy sights, I cannot see how that is in any way gainsaid by my statement about Guscio. I did not say Guscio is a two-minute walk from the Uffizi or that Sant'Amborgio is outside the centro storico. There simply is no contradiction between my two statements. You can have a good, long walk and still be inside the centro storico.

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
14. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

Hi Uncletomaso - we're sort of wondering, here at Artviva, how your last post helps the OP. All jh4711 was looking for, simply enough, was for some good places to eat.

But since we're back on this thread, please let us reiterate: try to get outside the viali! (Even though the wondrous Guscio is, by all accounts, still very much within it.)

Please, jh4711, let the Forum know of any discoveries you might make/find -- it will only enrichen our knowledge, which is -- again -- only a good thing.

Edited: 6:18 am, February 05, 2013
Florence
reviews: 36
15. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

Artviva,

You're right. It was silly of me to bother responding to Eugene's post proclaiming his "confusion" about what he perceived as an inconsistency between what I said about the location of Guscio and what I said some time ago about the location of some hostelry in Sant'Ambrogio. Shame on me.

16. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 07, 2014