We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 3
dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

We are looking for some interesting dining experiences where the locals eat. We are NOT interested in tourist places. Anybody have any "best kept secrets"??? We promise we won't tell :)

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
1. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

There really aren't a whole lot of secret places in the centro. If you want real Florence, we'd suggest that you go beyond the viali (the ring road enclosing the historic center).

Or roam around in the Oltrarno. Visitors tend to stick pretty much to a basic path, and very often don't deviate from it. If you want a lovely Florentine experience (which you will share with both locals and visitors alike), we couldn't rave more about the food at La Casalinga, which is a stone's throw from Piazza Santo Spirito.

A place we like, a whole lot, is just outside the viale on the Lungarno (north side of the river). It's called "Outside." In the Oltrarno side, also just outside the viale, just off Porta Romana, is la Vecchia Bettola.

Florence, Italy
2. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

Do you like truffles? Please don't breathe a word of this to anyone - *the* place to eat is "da 'i Coco Filippo" on Viale Amendola, just off Piazza Beccaria. It's a teeny hole (literally) in the wall that no tourist ever goes in. Filippo serves up insane portions of home made tagliatelle with mountains of truffles, tagliata (sliced steak) al tartuffo, and other Tuscan favorites... And he doesn't empty your wallet.

Now remember - you promised not to tell anyone!

Mississauga, ON
reviews: 81
3. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

For our Florence visit last year, I bought The Food Lover's Guide To Florence by Emily Wise Miller. Great tips and ideas.

Enjoy!

Rome, Italy
reviews: 6
4. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

Even though Florence is touristy, there are a lot of places that still cater to locals. Among my favorites are Fagioli (closed weekends, no credit cards), Ruggerto (just outside the Porta Romana), All'Antica Ristoro di' Cambi and Travai.

They aren't secrets,but are small, great food and usually full of just as many Florentines as tourists.

Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Minchilli

Firenze
reviews: 26
5. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

I think I might have met Elisabeth !!

I would just add Il guscio in the via dell'Orto: friendly staff and great food

Bedford, United...
reviews: 41
6. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

I like Il Guscio as well. Bit of a trek from the centro storico, but that is often what you have to do if you want a relatively tourist-free zone :)

Firenze
7. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

Florence is tourist community, with a growing local resident foreign community. Tourists are both Italian and foreign.

And they like to eat! Rather than avoiding tourists (many have discerning tastes!) you want to avoid places that cater exclusively for foreign tourists. A healthy mix with locals, Italian and foreign tourists is a good sign.

Mallorca,Spain
8. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

Hi, we went to Florence last June and stayed at the Hotel Pitti Palace just the otherside of the Ponte Vecchio and just a short walk from there is a restaurante called Osteria Cinghiale Bianco (white Hog in English), this was a great find, It had some tourists like ourselves but also the locals were coming in and the owner or manager was welcoming them as old friends. Great atmosphere, great food, it is a smallish place so get there about 19.00 hrs to get seated and I would definately recommend it and go back there next time I vist.

9. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, April 17, 2013
Florence
reviews: 36
10. Re: dining in Florence where the Florentians eat

Pericoloso,

Please look at a map.

Il Guscio, in the Via del Orto, is inside the city wall, a two-minute walk from San Frediano, so it is hardly "a bit of a trek from the centro storico."

I also have a problem with it's being considered something secret. It has been listed in Michelin's Guide Rouge for years.