We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temporary "pass" for ZTL vs taking tram in?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Temporary "pass" for ZTL vs taking tram in?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with giving your hotel your license plate # and being able to drive into the ZTL to drop luggage/passengers and park? Does this really work? We will be driving to Florence from my parents' house in southern Tuscany, staying one night and then driving to Parma to visit cousins. We will need our car once in Parma and are traveling with 3 children, so the train isn't really an option. This is something we've done many times, but the last time we drove into Florence (March 2010,) we did eventually get a fine in the mail. I have been reading all the info here about the ZTL and parking in Florence and was thinking of just taking the tram in, but with 3 kids in tow, that's not the easiest proposition and then I read about the temporary pass. Has anyone done this before?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
1. Re: Temporary "pass" for ZTL vs taking tram in?

It all depends how conscientious your hotel is and whether you get lost or not. If done properly it does work, but every now and then you'll hear of someone saying that either their hotel never bothered to sort it out (has to be done in advance) or that they got lost and deviated from the permitted route and got a fine anyway. If you do go for it, do watch out for the bus lanes too. Doesn't Parma have a ZTL too? Or are your cousins outside it? Have you considered staying your one night south of the river, outside the ZTL or even somewhere like Fiesole where you could bus to and from the city?

Baltimore, Maryland
2. Re: Temporary "pass" for ZTL vs taking tram in?

Thanks so much for the fast response! I was considering staying south of the river (I lived in the oltrarno when I studied abroad in Florence so I have a soft spot for it!) but was thinking with our limited time frame and with my kids (and my sister's 2 kids) along for the ride, we'd be better off closer to the center. Thanks for the tip about the bus lanes. As for straying from the designated route, will they give me a specific route I need to follow when I register the car? Do you know how easy/complicated it might be to find free parking near a tram stop and just take the tram?

Parma probably does have a ZTL but our cousins do live a bit outside the historic center, and if we need to drive into town, they ferry us about. We usually need our car there for trips outside of town.

(peggypatch, I have your book up on my amazon page right now :) Thanks, again!

San Diego...
reviews: 5
3. Re: Temporary "pass" for ZTL vs taking tram in?

With the number of people and their luggage also consider finding a close pay parking outside of the ZTL area and just take a taxi.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
4. Re: Temporary "pass" for ZTL vs taking tram in?

To be honest, I haven't done the tram thing yet, but I have heard people advising others to park at Scandicci and take the tram in. What I don't know is whether there is overnight parking available there. Can anyone else help to clarify?

I believe when the hotel notify the authorities of your number plate you are allow to drive in and park/or drop off and go out again. Where people have problems is if they get lost and end up going in and out of the zone more than once.

As you have clearly driven in Florence before and are familiar with the Italian road systems, you are less likely than other to get lost and have a problem, don't you think?

Bedford, United...
reviews: 41
5. Re: Temporary "pass" for ZTL vs taking tram in?

I am going to set up a business selling magnetic false number plates. Just clip onto your car and drive in all the ZTLs with impunity

#easymoney.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
6. Re: Temporary "pass" for ZTL vs taking tram in?

:)

Baltimore, Maryland
7. Re: Temporary "pass" for ZTL vs taking tram in?

Pericoloso, I like that idea the best :)

Yes, you're probably right, we're less likely to run into trouble since we know what we're getting into and are familiar with the rules and roads. Not that it's not nerve wracking driving in Florence!

Thanks so much for all of your help! I guess we'll just give it a go this time, give our hotel our plate #'s and see what happens :)

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
8. Re: Temporary "pass" for ZTL vs taking tram in?

I'd ask them to arrange for you to be able to drive in and ask them to email you confirmation when it has been done and then keep the emails - just in case!

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 50
9. Re: Temporary "pass" for ZTL vs taking tram in?

We have done it successfully in other towns but not in Florence.

NJ
reviews: 2
10. Re: Temporary "pass" for ZTL vs taking tram in?

Pericoloso,

A little strategically placed dirt or mud is a simpler solution, and less likely to end up in jail time if you are caught!