We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burbank, California
Train Travel

We will be a family of FIVE that will be traveling via Train from these locations.

Roma Termini to Pisa Centrale

** lowest price / best time given is with a INTERCITY TRAIN **

Pisa Centrale to Venezia S. Lucia

** lowet price / best time given is with REGIONALE VELOCE & FRECCIARGENTO TRAIN **

Venezia S. Lucia to Verona Porta Nuova

** lowest price / best time given is with FRECCIABIANC TRAIN **

Is it a MUST to book the trains online ?? Is it possible to get tickets at the train station?? I just dont want fares to go higher or become sold out. But if our travel plans change ... I dont want to be stuck with paying for tickets for a time I cant make ... or if by chance the fare will be lower some time of travel??

What is the difference of comfort between the trains. Since there are FIVE of us, we will also have FIVE luggages ... how "tight" will the seating be?

Any info / suggestions is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Train Travel

For the best prices, book direct with the train operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets usually go on sale 120 days before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer. Fares never go down.

You have a choice: if you book the cheapest fares, you do not have flexibility. If you miss your train, the ticket is worthless. With Economy fares (but not Super Economy), you can change your booking until the day before travel, but have to pay the difference between your cheap fare and the normal full price. Or you can buy just before travel, in which case you will pay the full price.

Book with www.lefrecce.it or with the new competitor www.italotreno.it/EN

None of the above discussion applies to Regionale trains. For these trains, it is absolutely pointless trying to buy tickets in advance over the Internet. These trains have no seat reservations (so tickets cannot sell out) and no discounts. Buy the tickets in Italy.

Regionale tickets bought in Italy can be used on any Regionale service for the journey purchased. Before you get on the train, you must time-stamp the ticket in a machine at the station. Tickets for other trains are valid on only one train, and do not need to be time-stamped.

Edited: 9:45 pm, January 26, 2013
Burbank, California
2. Re: Train Travel

Thank you for the help! I tried both of the websites you suggested .. but it seems that www.italotreno.it/EN does not have trips between Rome to Pisa.

The fares had gone up from 95 euro TO 162.50 euro on the trenitalia website !!

I guess there is no chance that I'll find something lower ... and that we HAVE to make that connection.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
3. Re: Train Travel

Note that the price shown on the Trenitalia web site is the total for the number of people you say will be travelling. The maximum for one person Rome-Pisa in second class is €50.80.

Prices will only go up as your travel date gets closer.

4. Re: Train Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 31, 2014