We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to Siena

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Savannah, Georgia
reviews: 7
Florence to Siena

We will be staying in Florence for a few days late May 2013. We would like to spend a day in Siena. My last trip to Italy, I went against every ones advice and rented a car. I will NOT be making that mistake again! Would the TA Florence experts suggest the bus? Train and then bus into the city? I have tried to figure out the Busfox website but even after selecting English, it still displays in Italian. Ideally, I would like to arrive in Siena early and leave in enough time to catch the bus back to Piazzale Michaelangeo in time to watch the sunset. YES…I am a dreamer. Is any of this possible?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
reviews: 25
1. Re: Florence to Siena

soccermom,

Try www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf

look at 131

South Australia
reviews: 12
2. Re: Florence to Siena

Bus Florence to Siena and San Gimignano www.busfox.com/timetable

Train to Pisa and Lucca www.trenitalia.it

homepage_en.html

www.discovertuscany.com

bedford
reviews: 5
3. Re: Florence to Siena

soccermom - I am curious why not a car.

I also got the recomendation from somoene to rent a car so I was planning on staying in Florence 2 days..rending a car for 2 days and driving the countryside in Tuscany.

Can you share your experience.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
4. Re: Florence to Siena

From Florence to Siena, the bus is a better choice than the train since the bus drops you off at the center of Siena. The train station is a bit of a walk.

If your focus is just Siena from Florence, then you definitely don't need a car since it's a simple direct bus ride that offers frequent service.

Regarding car rental, Tuscany is a great place to visit by car. However, your focus should be on the real countryside (not just Siena) to hill top towns and rural areas. Also, a 3-day car rental is usually the minimum to get the plan to pay off economically. 1 or 2-day rentals tend to yield much higher daily rates.

Florence
reviews: 36
5. Re: Florence to Siena

bgsnmky

If you are going to be in Florence for only two days, it is insane to rent a car.

First, you are prohibited from using the car anywhere inside the historic center of Florence, so you can use it only for driving around the countryside. Then if you go driving around the countryside, you will have trouble driving it back into the city where you are presumably going to spend the night.

There really are two choices: If you don't want to be in Florence, find someplace in the country to stay, rent a car, and drive around.

If you do want to be in Florence, be in Florence and forget having a car - it is far, far more trouble than it can possibly be worth.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 1
6. Re: Florence to Siena

Definitely take the bus. It drops you right in the centre of town, a 2 minute walk to the Duomo. From Florence, catch the SENA bus from the main bus station near Santa Maria Novella train station. Buses run frequently, ask at the information window for a timetable. From memory, I think the trip takes just under 1 hour.

bedford
reviews: 5
7. Re: Florence to Siena

Thanks guys. Actually I can stay 2 nights in Florence and 2 in the countryside. Trying to decide on days now if it is way to drive someone suggested staying in Florence two nights and renting a car from Florence. Then stay in the countryside aomewhere and return it in Pisa on our wy to cinque Terre.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
8. Re: Florence to Siena

If you are heading for the Cinque Terre, you might as well drop the car at La Spezia. You would probably have to change trains there anyway.

9. Re: Florence to Siena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 01, 2014