We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 7 days in Tuscany and nearby

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Andover...
reviews: 17
Itinerary for 7 days in Tuscany and nearby

Please help me get started on a 7-day itinerary. In late May and early June, my husband and I will be flying into Bologna and will be meeting our adult son (who lives in Spain). We'll be there Thursday to Thursday and will fly out of Bologna.

What could we reasonably try to do to savor the art, food, wine, history and natural beauty of this area?

Are there events happening that we should try to get to?

We'd like to see Florence but would also like to go places off the beaten track. We also like to hike, but won't be traveling with real hiking gear. We could rent a car for some or part of the time, if that is recommended.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
1. Re: Itinerary for 7 days in Tuscany and nearby

A great start would be a good guide book, do some reading about the area, and come back with some specific question and I am sure you can get lots of help!

South Australia
reviews: 12
2. Re: Itinerary for 7 days in Tuscany and nearby

Public transport from Florence.

Train to Pisa and Lucca www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html Check train times over the next seven days, and remember to validate your train ticket.

Buses to Siena and San Gimignano www.busfox.com/timetable

Buses from Siena www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf

A Car is a convenient way to enjoy Tuscany, though read Top Questions to the right "Driving in Italy", to inform on traffic restrictions and ZTL areas.

www.auto-europe.com www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

You will require an International Driving Permit for Italy, obtained from the AAA.

Hotels can advise on Tuscany wine touring companies.

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.discovertuscany.com

Tuscany region www.italia.it/en/home.html

Edited: 5:41 pm, January 23, 2013
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
reviews: 25
3. Re: Itinerary for 7 days in Tuscany and nearby

Creampuff,

This may help slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Florence
reviews: 36
4. Re: Itinerary for 7 days in Tuscany and nearby

You have very little time.

If you fly in on Thursday and leave the following Thursday, you really have five days at most - including the first day, during which you will be jet-lagged, and the last day, when you presumably have to be at the Bolognia airport in the morning.

You are trying to cram far to much stuff into far too little time. If it were me, I would spend four days in Florence, with perhaps a day trip to Siena, or Arezzo.

If you try to do what you are thinking, you will wind up spending all of your time running around to get from A to B, and you won't have enough time to see or do anything in either A or B.

Andover...
reviews: 17
5. Re: Itinerary for 7 days in Tuscany and nearby

Thank you. We won't be jet lagged because we will be coming from within Europe. It's Thurs to Thurs, so 6 full days. We do want to be selective and agree that less is more. Ideally, id likecto just stay in two places, wit day trips. I was thinking a few days in Florence and the rest in a country village- I'm looking at Greve and Panzano in the Chianti region.

But am I overlooking something fabulous closer to Bologna that would be an alternative to Chianti?

We will be flying into Bologna at 4pm - where should we spend that first night? Should we try to get to Florence the same day? A week later, we fly out of Bologna at 1pm, so I'll appreciate logistic advice about how close we should try to stay the night before.

6. Re: Itinerary for 7 days in Tuscany and nearby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 25, 2014