We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spur of the moment car rental

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz...
spur of the moment car rental

We will be in Florence 4 days in late May. Not sure once we are there if we are going to rent a car or not . We are going to take it day by day with no real set plans. Has anyone decided to rent a car to explore the sorrounding areas on a days notice, difficulties finding a car and was it much more expensive versus reserving one ahead of time? Thanks

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 55
11. Re: spur of the moment car rental

You can easily visit the beautiful city of Siena by bus from Florence, or the charming little city of Lucca by train. As mentioned above Arezzo is another good option by train. You could visit Greve-in-Chaniti by bus and take the short walk to Montefioralle if you want to see some of the Tuscan countryside. All of these day trips can be decided on the spur of the moment, but whatever you do, don't do more than one or you will shortchange Florence.

Santa Cruz...
12. Re: spur of the moment car rental

Thank you all once again for your imputs. Peggypatch, your suggestions fits what we are looking for. It's perfect. I think we are going to forget the car rental part especially after looking at how expensive it can be, especially on a days notice.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 54
13. Re: spur of the moment car rental

you are there for such a short time that you won't have time for day trips if you want to see the top sights of Florence

if you do want to vary things with a day trip, the obvious choice is to take the bus to Siena for the day or to head to Pisa or Lucca by train

we love tooling around Tuscany by car, but not on a 4 day visit to Florence. you don't have time to get much out of a car rental and they are very expensive for last minute short rentals. (we did once get a very good rate on a weekend when we got a car to drive to Rome with a stop overnight in Siena -- but we only did this because we were traveling with my 80 year old mother and train travel was very tough on her)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 343
14. Re: spur of the moment car rental

Jorge, I do not mean to uproot your plan, but do you have all your steps reserved, i.e., places to stay, things to do? What other towns/cities in Italy will you be visiting on this holiday? The reason I am asking is that it sounds as if you are intrigued with visiting the countryside but cannot quite figure out when and how to fit it in your general plan. Four days in Florence is a nice chunk of time, so maybe you could borrow a day/two from it and a day/two from somewhere else, and include the countryside? Just thinking outloud here, but if this is not an option then you will just have to plan a return visit.

Santa Cruz...
15. Re: spur of the moment car rental

I see what you're saying Anna-Roz, and I agree. This is bonus 4 days mini vacation post cruise that we decided to to. I know 4 days in Florence does not even come close to see everything that I would like to see in Italy(next trip, hopefully). If 4 days in Florence fits our interest, then that is what it will be. If 2/3 days in Florence checks all of our boxes, then going to my original question was if I was to venture outside of Florence on a whim, then if renting a car was too expensive .

Reading all of the comments, a bus ride to Sienna, or a train ride to Lucca would be a more suitable for us .

We are narrowing it down to the B&B that we are looking for. Things are booking up fast , so we need act quickly.

16. Re: spur of the moment car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 22, 2014