We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewellery on Ponte Vecchio

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 8
Jewellery on Ponte Vecchio

I was wondering if anyone could recommend decent, honest jewellery stores along Ponte Vecchio in Florence. I am not looking to buy anything extravagant, but perhaps a nice pair of earrings or the like as a way to remember my holiday. I am willing to spend up to a few hundred Euros if I find something I really love and is good quality.

I am sure there are several stores that will attempt to overprice for the tourist crowd, but I assume I am allowed to haggle the price somewhat.

If the store you recommend has a website, please post the link.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
1. Re: Jewellery on Ponte Vecchio

There are jewellery stores all over Florence...why focus on the touristy Ponte Vecchio?

Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: Jewellery on Ponte Vecchio

I haven't been before, so I only know of Ponte Vecchio. Still my question stands - if anyone can recommend a jeweller (anywhere in Florence), it would be much appreciated.

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
3. Re: Jewellery on Ponte Vecchio

I was assigned the very enjoyable task this Christmas by my husband of finding myself a beautiful piece of jewellery so must have spent a couple of hours in total browsing the stores on the Ponte Vecchio (and the street running north of the bridge towards Il Duomo), noting styles and prices. I later compared these with styles and prices at a couple of stores in Siena, several in Arezzo (which has a long tradition of jewellery making) and a small, family run jewellers in a southern Tuscan hilltown. I really cannot emphasise enough the massive difference in price for virtually the same things with even a simple 18 carat gold bracelet coming up 30% more expensive on the Ponte Vecchio than in Siena / Arezzo. Sure, the surroundings are stunning, the atmosphere - especially at Christmas in the evening - really lovely but I'm not buying surroundings or atmosphere, I'm buying a bracelet. Sad to say it really is a tourist trap and I was conscious too of a TA poster earlier this year who reported that the solid "gold" bracelet she purchased from a store here turned out to be gold coloured metal. If you're flying up from Melbourne via somewhere in the Middle East (Dubai / Doha / Abu Dhabi) buy whatever you're looking for in the Duty Free shops as gold is still amazing value these places. (Singapore or Bangkok would even be good if you're coming that way.) Sure, the surroundings won't be as romantic but you'll pay possibly as much as half for the precise same thing. You can then spend the money you've saved on something else from Florence that is far better value here, such as some lovely leather items.

Edited: 1:34 am, December 30, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: Jewellery on Ponte Vecchio

I appreciate where you are coming from but the whole point is to buy something from Florence. I will make a point of looking at stores away from Ponte Vecchio as well. A friend of mine goes every year to Florence and said that she has bought legitimate jewellery there and bargained for a good price.

Edited: 1:40 am, December 30, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
5. Re: Jewellery on Ponte Vecchio

I should also point out that shopping in general in Australia is very expensive so sometimes I think what we think to be expensive/inexpensive is vastly different from other parts of the world. Nevertheless I will be savvy about the process. Places like Bangkok arent necessarily better for avoiding dodgy jewellery sellers.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
6. Re: Jewellery on Ponte Vecchio

Frankly, you are not going to find a bargain on anything in central Florence: just about everything there is aimed at tourists and over-priced.

Gold has the same value everywhere in the world.

Melbourne, Australia
7. Re: Jewellery on Ponte Vecchio

I realise gold has the same value everywhere but you can always ask for 10% off or the like knowing that things are overpriced. I have never bought jewellery on my several holidays elsewhere and not got a discount off the price tag. Maybe italy is different. Will soon find out.

Edited: 2:02 am, December 30, 2012
Chicago
reviews: 49
8. Re: Jewellery on Ponte Vecchio

I bought a ring at Torrini near the Duomo. Its actually a funny story, it was raining and I got lost and kept going around in circles. I had priced out similar pieces at home so I already knew what i was comfortable paying.

I got a beautiful ring and an amazing story you cant put a price on.

Just be practical, know what you want to spend and have fun.

Melbourne, Australia
9. Re: Jewellery on Ponte Vecchio

Thanks windycity. I think my comments were misinterpreted. I am not looking for a 'bargain' but I have no problems with asking for a discount and the worst is the store owner says no. Personally, I would rather buy one or two really nice momentos from my holiday whether they be jewellery, a leather handbag etc and have the sentimental value attached to those items. I did browse some websites of stores in florence and the prices for modern silver or gold pieces are not that drastically different from Australia so I have an idea of what I am willing to spend.

Heck, speaking of gold prices - the price of gold has increased so much in the past few years that a simple 9kt gold MedicAlert bracelet is now $1200. I have decided to leave it at home as it is easy to rip the bracelet from my wrist and instead will purchase a simple stainless steel medicalert necklace for travel that is only $55 instead. Sorry for the tangent, but gold is expensive just about anywhere these days so I dont think Florence will be anymore expensive than other places I have travelled.

10. Re: Jewellery on Ponte Vecchio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, September 11, 2013
Edited: 3:05 pm, September 11, 2013