We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience Florence walking with a 3 year old

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield...
reviews: 41
Experience Florence walking with a 3 year old

Hi all,

I'll be in Florence for two nights next June before we move into the countryside, traveling with my daughter, son, and granddaughter.

I've never been to Florence, or Italy for that matter, but am not a check off the list traveler, more of a wander around - soak up the atmosphere and experience.

Am looking staying either at Hotel Casci and Hotel David, fairly different locations.

Just wondering what your advice is for a walk/wander about the city.

Thanks so much for suggestions.

nancyM

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
1. Re: Experience Florence walking with a 3 year old

Hotel Casci is very central, so a much busier part of the city, but your granddaughter would have less of a distance to walk. The Hotel David is quite a distance from the centre, I think you'd need to catch the bus to the centre or your granddaughter will be tired of walking by the time you get to many of the attractions. Of course, you can take a buggy, but Florence is not great for getting around with them, lots of cobblestones, very thin pavements, hoards of people in certain parts etc. I think I'd opt for somewhere in the centre, but do read the reviews and try to select somewhere that isn't too noisy at night. I have had problems in the past with the streetcleaning machine noise waking my daughters up when staying in the centre

Chesterfield...
2. Re: Experience Florence walking with a 3 year old

Thanks for the good advice.

Bedford, United...
3. Re: Experience Florence walking with a 3 year old

This article might help a bit, but you will want to read it in conjunction with a city map to see what is feasible with your young ' un

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187895-c148104/Flore…

St Paul, MN
reviews: 6
4. Re: Experience Florence walking with a 3 year old

The pavement in Florence I though was relatively level for cobblestones, but maybe that's because I was comparing it with Rome. And when we were there in Feb 2009, in the Oltrarno where we were staying we withnessed then repairing big sections of it that seemed relativley OK. It might not be very bad for a light stroller. Most of Central Florence was relatively level. it was not until you get to the the Oltrarno near the Pitti Palace (and San Miniato) that you encounter hills. You can take a bus there with the stroller.

Map showing Hotel David which is served by Florence city buses. Go to the ATAF to see routes.

Hotel David is the green push pin on this google map. We drove past there on Bus 13 on the way back from San Miniato. There is more than one bus line that goes past there.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

The Duomo is the violet dounut on the amp

5. Re: Experience Florence walking with a 3 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 02, 2014