We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting Florence August 15

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Savannah, Georgia
reviews: 4
Visting Florence August 15

Hello,

I have a trip to Italy this summer. I arrive in Florence on August 14, and then plan on spending two nights on August 15. After that we are heading to Rome for 4 nights, and then returning to Florence for one last night at the end of the trip. How would you reccomend planning the trip for things to do while I am in town. What will likey be open during the 15, and should I plan an all day excursion. Right now I was looking at doing this: walkaboutflorence.com/tours/best-tuscany-tour

Also, what are some good places to reccomend for eating during that time? Moderately priced, very good food. I want also one day t place to get the best pizza. Any help would be appreciated.

Bedford, United...
reviews: 41
1. Re: Visting Florence August 15

Have a look at this :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187895-c148104/Flore…

If you are thinking of visiting the Uffizi Gallery or the Accademia, you will need to book in advance, otherwise you will stand in line for upwards of an hour for each. Read this article, which tells you all about getting tickets :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c145508/Tusca…

Call about 14 days ahead to get the times you want.

This is something I wrote a couple of years ago which may be of use :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187895-c151431/Flore…

Food will depend on your budget (in euros - I don't understand USD) and where you will be, although Florence is very compact. You can get good pizza in lots of places, including Gustapizza, Baldovino and many others. Try putting 'best pizza' in the search box at the top of the forum.

You have plenty of time to do your research! Remember that it will be hot, hot, hot.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
2. Re: Visting Florence August 15

and, humid, humid, humid. AC is essential - hope you checked that your lodging has good AC.

Savannah, Georgia
reviews: 4
3. Re: Visting Florence August 15

We have Hotel Globus. How would everyone rate that place? And I am from south Georgia, so I am used to the heat and humidity.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
4. Re: Visting Florence August 15

I live in NYC so too have heat and humidity - the difference is when I'm traveling, I tend to be outside more than I am at home in that weather. As long as you are comfortable with it and can duck into places (museums, shops, cafes, etc) to get some respite from it, you will be fine as are the millions of others.

Don't know that hotel - but, you could look over the reviews and see if it is mentioned (it's probably fine):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187895-d275848…

Bedford, United...
reviews: 41
5. Re: Visting Florence August 15

This is the hotel website. Their rooms have AC.

Reviews are generally ok. Location is pretty central, there are loads of restaurants around to explore.

http://www.hotelglobus.com/rooms.htm

Edited: 1:08 pm, December 04, 2012
Florence
reviews: 36
6. Re: Visting Florence August 15

Historically, like Paris, Florence used to be more or less completely shut down most of August, and especially on the 15th, the "Ferragosto", an ancient Roman holiday incorporated into Christianity as the Feast of the Assumption.

In the past, only hotels and a handful of shops and mediocre restaurants catering exclusively to tourists were open.

Times have changed. Many Florentines now work right through August - taking off only on the 15th itself - or, at most, making a "bridge". In 2013, the 15th will be on a Thursday, so lots of people will take off Friday as well to make a 4-day weekend.

Most if not all of the big shops will be open throughout most of August, and many of the small ones as well - again, except on the 15th itself.

The major tourist attractions will be open.

The weather for somebody coming from Savannah should not be a problem at all. It can be very hot in the sun, but it is easy to avoid the sun. Italian buildings are designed and built to keep the heat out, and many, including some of the major museums, are now air conditioned.

The biggest problem, especially for us, is food - the vast majority of small restaurants catering primarily to locals are closed for part or all of August.

In our opinion, the best pizza in the area is at the Pizzeria San Domenico, in the hamlet of San Domenico, just below the ancient Etruscan-Roman village of Fiesole, in the hills just north of the center of Florence. Fiesole is a joy, with its Roman theater, cool breezes, beautiful views, cathedral, and more. And it is readily accessible on the Number 7 bus from the Piazza San Marco, in the center of Florence, and the bus stops right in front of the Pizzeria San Domenico.

7. Re: Visting Florence August 15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, December 17, 2013