We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

John F Leather

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
John F Leather

We were very impressed by the selection, quality, and very reasonable prices and had a very nice visit last week to the store located on the river. They have been around for decades manufacturing and selling to top American luxury stores and Romano was very charming and friendly. Has anyone also had positive feedback from dealing with them?

20 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 47
1. Re: John F Leather

Were you asked by this merchant to post this ad?

Florence
reviews: 36
2. Re: John F Leather

I don't know anything about the shop. I have never set foot in it and don't know anybody who has. I have never had any contact with the establishment of any kind. But I can testify to the simple fact the it has been in the same location on the Lungarno Corsini for many, many decades.

New York
3. Re: John F Leather

Thanks for asking if the thought occurred to you, but consider that If I was asked to post a favorable reply I would not have made a request for other comments. I have more favorable posts to place soon for other positive experiences in wonderful Florence (except the breads had no taste - I am told they do not use salt).

New York
4. Re: John F Leather

We visited many leather shops and had to learn about the Chinese made goods and the history of the goods where possible, many claim they make their own or through factories but often it is not true. We did luck out with two who we could trace to their claims to manufacture for big name stores in the U.S. and the quality showed, for a fraction of the price. The other one was Bottega across from the Westin who used to sell to The Bottega until they were sold and still makes his garments upstairs, we both knew the original family owner of The Bottega.

Florence
reviews: 36
5. Re: John F Leather

NOAHNYNY

"Bottega" simply means "shop".

For many, many years, the shop next to the French Institute (formerly the consulate) and facing the Excelsior across the Piazza d'Ognissanti was, I believe, a branch of the "Bottega Veneta" chain. Its shop in Florence is, I believe, now in the Via degli Strozzi.

I believe the shop now in Piazza d'Ognissanti is called the "Bottega Giotti". I know absolutely nothing about them. I am curious to know if they are at all related to "Giotti Ceramiche" the purveyor of various and sundry hand-painted terracotta wall hangings and porcelain tables, barbeques, etc., a few doors "downtown" on the Borg'Ognissanti. We have done business with them and been very happy with what we got.

New York
6. Re: John F Leather

Yes, I was referring to Bottega Giotti as the prior manufacturing source who first signed a contract with Bottega Veneta decades ago and still manufactures on premises for their own private clientele, having given up the contract when Bottega Veneta was sold a few years ago. I do not think the two stores you mention are related in any way. The workmanship of the clothing and leather bags was exceptional, the quality you expect to see at U.S. retail but his price is a fraction, maybe 80% off the Fifth Avenue retail prices. Hard to do ecommerce but anyone wanting to enhance their wardrobe can pay for the entire trip or more if they would otherwise be buying at the high end fashion stores for the brand value. I recommend looking at both John F, a few blocks away, and Bottega Giotti.

7. Re: John F Leather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, November 09, 2012

Detroit, Michigan
8. Re: John F Leather

We also had a great experience with John F leather this past summer. I lost their business card and would like to order from them but can't find their number and can't find their direct website, would you please post it if you have it

Austin, Texas
reviews: 2
9. Re: John F Leather

I happen to have a card from my visit this week. Here's the info you're looking for:

http://www.johnf.it

+39 055 28 32 49

Lungarno Corsini, 2/A

50123 Firenze - Italia

Clarksville...
reviews: 1
10. Re: John F Leather

Yes, we had a very positive experience in John F. We met Romano in the square and he brought us to his shop where we enjoyed looking at his leather goods. I bought an adorable purse and got a very good price for it. Wish we had discovered his shop sooner as this was on our last day and we had already used up most of our budget!!

Reply to: John F Leather
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted